E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Airbag lights are on. Ran it through computer. Help ?

14K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  silverkw 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.

I'm a new user but long time fanatic. My friend suggested I come here to find my mods and seek help when needed. Well, unfortunately the first time is for help.

My airbag light came on last week and when my friend (he who suggested I try here) ran it through his computer two error codes came up.

MRS4 - 02 Belt tensioer driver --- Currently present --- Resistance too high
-Belt Tensioner, driver B6510 30010

and

MRS4 - 0B Battery, positive terminal isolation 1 --- Currently Present --- Resistance too high - Fault fr
-Battery safety terminal B6510_30008

Any ideas if these are the problems causing my airbag light to go on?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Tom

See less See more
#3 ·
So my airbag light is on because my seat belt tensioner is out of wack? That's kind of extreme. What if I get into an accident without the seatbelt tensioners and an airbag!

Slightly poor designing =T

Oh, I swaped my 2001 Sport Steering for an Alcantra Wheel and airbag. But I don't think that has anything to do with it.

#4 ·
330Ciiiiii said:
Oh, I swaped my 2001 Sport Steering for an Alcantra Wheel and airbag. But I don't think that has anything to do with it.
Did you disconnect the battery before swapping?

#8 ·
330Ciiiiii said:
Anyone know if the battery error has anything to do with the airbag?? =T
It could. The battery safety terminal(BST) blows off of your battery in the event of an accident, disconnecting power to avoid a fire I believe. So if you have a problem with your airbags, it could possibly affect the BST's behavior. Just a thought though, I'm not a technician. :thumbup:

#9 ·
330Ciiiiii said:
My airbag light came on last week and when my friend (he who suggested I try here) ran it through his computer two error codes came up.

MRS4 - 02 Belt tensioer driver --- Currently present --- Resistance too high
-Belt Tensioner, driver B6510 30010

Airbag light was on in my car, too. Took it to the dealer and they wanted ~$400 to fix it! They said they had to replace the seatbelt/buckle and that required removing the seat

#10 ·
sladha said:
Airbag light was on in my car, too. Took it to the dealer and they wanted ~$400 to fix it! They said they had to replace the seatbelt/buckle and that required removing the seat
Does that definitely fix the tensior warning issue? My car developed this tonight, and even when I use the Peake tool to reset it, it only stays reset for a few seconds before it lights up again.

#11 ·
camarochevy1970 said:
Does that definitely fix the tensior warning issue? My car developed this tonight, and even when I use the Peake tool to reset it, it only stays reset for a few seconds before it lights up again.
not sure, I have yet to get it fixed. once i do, i'll let u know. i just don't want to pay the dealer ~$400!

#12 ·
Steel330ci said:
It could. The battery safety terminal(BST) blows off of your battery in the event of an accident, disconnecting power to avoid a fire I believe. So if you have a problem with your airbags, it could possibly affect the BST's behavior. Just a thought though, I'm not a technician. :thumbup:
Yes. I agree.
Anybody knows how many ohms the airbag module does expect in the battery positive terminal?
I have the same problem, and I want to put a resistor between the wires to simulate a working battery safety terminal.

#15 ·
I rec taking a contact cleaner and cleaning the seat belt connector then applying a chemical called stabilant 22A and putting it in the contacts then clearing the codes, I have found many buckles that have been replaced that did not need to be that only had contact issues. I also have replaced many faulty buckles but always try that first. The BST you were referring to is the pyrotechnic device in the trunk by the battery if that cable is loose or has a voltage drop anywhere in the cable then it needs to be replaced. The one place I have sen issues in under the passenger seat carpet up by the bulkhead corrodes causing that faults sometime replacing the whole battery cable is necessary. I hope this helps Good Luck.

#16 ·
I have the same problem, thought I was alone on this one. I replaced my steering wheel with an M3 one and followed the removal instructions, (disconnecting the battery), I got the light on after about 1 month. I am going to try to clean the seat belt connector. ANy ideas as t owhere to find the "Stabilant 22A"

#17 ·
Most auto stores or stereo shops can get it for you it is expensive 20-40 for a 4 ounce bottle so use one or two drops!! BMW and VW/Audi Spec it to use in May bulletins for connection issues. This is the only product that I have had work successfully there are lots of contact enhancers out there this is the only one I have had work!!!

#18 ·
My airbag light flicks on and off randomly, can't seem to narrow down what it is that triggers it, but can go on and off a few times in the course of a 20 minutes journey. What tool have you used to get the error codes out? yo usaid you ran it through a pc? what interface and software do you have? I have heard there are also sensors under the seats themselves, anyone know where these are and how to get access to them?

#19 ·
Ok firstly Fix the battery problem because i have had my car throw a fault code for the seat belt tensioner exactly same code as yours when there was nothing wrong with it. The Occupancy Sensor on the passenger seat was to blame, While doing a little fault finding of my own I worked it out by simulating an occupancy sensor and clearing the codes the Tensioner Error disappeared as well so Thats why I say Fix the battery first.

Btw Seth you able to get me a Occupancy sensor for my Passenger seat (RHD) ?

#22 ·
Bst

ok, i had the AB light on from a bag replacement i did as a part of a rebuild on my '04 330CiC. I just had the codes read @ an Inde shop today and the batt term. code came up, along w/several others. The owner/tech (he is a cert'd BMW Master Service Tech) checked the batt terminal and it was blown, but had the cable jammed back in the terminal so the system still had power to function like normal.

Here's the good part, he says to clear the AB code, the BatterySafetyTerminal (BST)/cable assy has to be replaced as a partial cable that you splice in near the back seat bulkhead or replace the entire cable and it is $350- $400 depending on model ! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I'm thinking salvage/flood car or something like that to avoid paying stealership full price.............

any other ideas anybody ?

mr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.