E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Steed Speed Flow Bench results

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Bdave 
#1 · (Edited)
I dont know about you. But I find the following pretty exciting. There is no practical results yet. When there is(dyno results) you will be the first to know. When? I have no idea. Dont hold your breath. This year I would hope.

"I have the results here, but it's not really legible by the average joe, or me for that matter. . .it's just a bunch of data laid out on a spread sheet. With your permission, I'm going to have the actual person who ported your manifold give you a buzz on the phone tomorrow. Let me know it's OK to give him your cell. . .he will be able to explain to you the reason it took so freakin long, but trust me, after you speak with him you'll realize it was worth the long wait. He told me efficiency is 10 fold now on the turbo and waste gate side(now it is port matched), and there is a good deal more volume in there now, and smoothness. Great stuff."

I like the Steed and think it has a lot going for it over a welded up tube job.
Whether it is going to be so fantastic in real world use remains to be seen. Six EGT ports have also been drilled and tapped. Things look promising at least. We are pursuing basic fundamentals of engine breathing. All is going according to plan except the monumental burden of prodigious time added to the project. Its been overwhelming I have to say.

New, super fast Synapse Synchronic BOV's were added too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71L1w77xC-M&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBNTWoPe8yc&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffj01k64AZI&feature=relmfu

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting....but I look forward to when you start providing your own media (pictures/video/data) of topics related to your build.

I have been lied to about technical details when asking for data on my own projects. If data isn't able to be provided that clearly explains why something is "different", than nothing is proven. Similar to when someone says an exhaust manifold is creating too much back pressure, but has no sensors in place to measure this back pressure.

#4 ·
By all means, be skeptical. Until I have dyno data, its all conjecture. Even flow numbers can be faked. I will be reporting the general content of the phone call from the very shop owner that did the work and report whether I find that they have a history of shoddy work or debunking their customers. Or not.

I would not mind seeing at least a photo of the work done. I am quite surprised none were forth coming(yet) I paid to have the entire mani split, ported, re welded and re ceramic coated.

However, there is that possibility that the glass is half full and results will speak for themselves. Nothing to do but wait then I suppose. Porting of intake and exhaust manifolds goes on all the time for a variety of cars and motorcycles. Its not beyond the realm of possibility for a job like mine to come out quite successfully.

#6 · (Edited)
At last notice: 1,100usd. It may have gone higher. But that is what I paid so far.
1) Cut the welds and split the manifold. It splits nicely in HALF.
2) Port and polish for increased flow AND velocity
3)Drill and tap for six EGT probes. Make shaped bungs for probe holes.
4) We weld
5) Re coat in ceramic.

We dont think there are huge amounts of lost HP waiting to be recovered,,,just a significant amount. Also, more power with less boost and lower EGT's. That is our hope.
No phone conference yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.