E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Taking the BMW Key apart...

9K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  kp.eric 
#1 ·
Does anyone have instruction on how to properly take apart my 2004 330ci coupe key? I want to clean the insides and replace the battery. Thanks in advance!!!

#3 ·
You can take the key apart my father just did mine. You can replace the batter. The battery only has 1,000 charge cycles(about) so it can die. I will ask him in the morning how it came apart. im pretty sure he just pried it apart bc its stuck together at the factory and basically plasitc welded together

#7 ·
I'd be interested in knowing how, one key already went down. I've been told the same thing at the stealership that once a key is dead, well its like $125-150 to get another one. Damm. On the flip side at least the key still starts the car, consider it an expensive valet key. :)

#8 ·
To Open all BMW keys 1999 to present...

It really is so simple to open the keys I am supprised that no one has figured it out yet.

Just place the old key on a firm non marking surface. then find something very very heavy (a hammer works best:thumbup: ) and strike the key. Several hits may be necessary and should be repeated until the two halfs come appart or you have more than six pieces that don't look like they will go back together with glue. :shhh:

How is that for a DIY??:thumbup:

#12 ·
It really is so simple to open the keys I am supprised that no one has figured it out yet.

Just place the old key on a firm non marking surface. then find something very very heavy (a hammer works best:thumbup: ) and strike the key. Several hits may be necessary and should be repeated until the two halfs come appart or you have more than six pieces that don't look like they will go back together with glue. :shhh:

Thanks for the great DIY! I'll try it as soon as I get home. :excited:

#9 ·
ck21084 said:

:rofl:

HE WAS KIDDING

#10 ·
i did this. i'm not sure when BMW started using the newer keys but I read that they are ultrasonically sealed and the parts inside are unservicable. i can verify this as I bought a dummy key to experiement with. On 2002 and below, the keys had decals on it that rubbed away, on 2003+ they have raised plastic for unlock, and trunk release.

i took a razor blade and just kept going back and forth until i got the cap off. Its really difficult only because you have to take your time. if the razor blade goes to far into the key, its garunteed to knock out the resistors and other electronic stuff underneath the cover.

#11 ·
ck21084 said:

Oh great. I just followed the directions of this DIY. :cry: :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.