E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DSC and brake warning lights come on and go

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  captainsatch 
#1 · (Edited)
hi guys! here is my problem
DSC and brake warning lights come on after few miles of driving after first engine start, it remains on all thoughout the day. After parking it overnight, and starting the engines the following day, I DON'T get the lights to come on! but goes ON again after few miles of driving! and so on and on and on! i had the codes red! "pressure sensor" is what came out! my mechanic told me that you have to buy the whole module because they don't sell pressure sensors alone.

I just have few questions.....

1. what is the problem?
2. do i need to have these fixed right away? i mean these are just added features or percs of owning a bimmer but in a normal car these features aren't available right? i mean the car would still function and run normally even if these DSC and brake warning lights are on right?
3. what is the danger ? my DSC and traction controls are inoperative?

THANKS A LOT E46 FANATICS! you guys ROCK! hope you can help me! THANKS AND GOD BLESS!

#2 ·
when those lights are on, your dsc is totally disabled, meaning you have full control of the car...drive carefully.

I had this same exact issue, and it went away by its self (dont ask me how). I got the codes read, and it said steering wheel position sensor was off, and i figured it went bad.

Read the codes on your car, it could be same sensor as mine, or a wheel speed sensor, or something else.

#7 ·
I had/have this issue. I didn't have the DSC codes read. I have found that if i turn the wheel full deflection to the left and then right, then let the car sit for a while, then the lights don't come on for about 50 to several hundred miles. I don't know what it is. Most of my driving lately has been less than 10 miles, so it hasn't really come on at all.

#8 ·
thanks guys for all your replies!
i can't remember the code number, will have it checked again! my question is if I just leave the way it is, would it result in any damage in my car? I mean it's just the DSC traction control that wouldn't work right? but i'd still be able to drive and run my car normally. Thanks guys thanks! really appreciate it!

#10 ·
there is a lot of potential problems that could cause ur dsc control module not to work properly. easiest thing would be to bring it to someone who can read the values of your speed sensors/check for other hidden codes that normal obd II code readers can not see.

it may be as simple as getting a proper 4 wheel alignment. but without a proper scan you will be stabbing in the dark.

#12 ·
I called the dealership about this problem in the past they told me it was more than likely the wheel speed sensor. I never fixed the issue because it would come and go. The dealership said it wasn't something to be to concerned about they said my DSC was still enabled. How true that is I'm not sure!! It is the stealership!!!

#13 ·
thanks guys for your replies! really appreciate it, my only concern is is it gonna affect my car's basic role, I mean would i still be able to drive my car normally even if i dont have the DSC fixed? it's just an added feature in BMWs right? a lot of cars dont have this feature. of course i'd lose all those cornering braking control and traction, Dynamic Stability Control feature!
thanks guys!

#14 ·
it went on again after a few weeks of driving! lights came back after driving it for weeks. total miles i added in my odometer was around 300miles. it went away again after i turned the engine off and drove the next day! guys what's gonna be the danger with my car if i don't have this fixed? i mean i'd still be able to drive my car under NORMAL conditions even if the DSC and brake lights are on right? I'd just lose the traction control features but when it comes to driving it it would nott really give me a headache right? had the codes read and i got a PRESSURE SENSOR error, my mechanic told me it might be a faulty dsc module, thanks guys! would i still be able to use my car and drive it normally? i understand the DSC is an added feature of bmw for tight cornering turns and traction controls. my other japanese car doesnt have this feature so i dont really mind if i would not have this in my e46. thanks for the help guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.