E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How do I replace my H7 halogen headlight bulb?

134K views 47 replies 44 participants last post by  Onizukachan 
#1 ·
This is my question from yesterday. After working about 4 hours on the problem, you could guess that I got pretty fed up. :censor:

So I decided to leave it overnight. The morning light helped me solve the problem. So I decided to share the wealth. Here's what I did for my 2005 325i.

The trick is to look closely at the parts before you remove the headlight bulb. You don't want to turn the entire socket assembly -- just the black locking ring. It has a top and bottom tab that fits into the headlight assembly. Grab the square ring tab, which appears at the top right in the picture below, and twist it a short 1/8 turn counterclockwise (like you were sitting on top of the engine, facing forward). In the picture below, 0 is unlocked; 1 is locked. It will take a little effort to turn it to the unlocked position, but not that much.

Now, just pull the old H7 halogen bulb straight out and push the new one in, trying not to touch the new bulb directly with your oily fingers. I used toilet paper to handle the bulb. This step is a no-brainer, as you can see in the photo below.

Now, the fun part begins. There is a small, narrow slot in the clear, yellowish headlight assembly. You can see it at the bottom of the picture below, slightly to the right of center. (My macro camera setting is great, right? Even though it makes the part look huge.)

This yellow slot accepts the tab of the black locking ring. Barely. You really have to work at it to seat the socket assembly correctly.

You can see the block-looking black tab on the inside of the arm in the picture below.

Now, make sure the tab is in the unlocked, or "0" position. Then line up the 2 tabs, which are on opposite sides of the socket assembly ring, with the 2 slots. You won't be able to see them because your hand is in the way, so just give it your best guess. Then push the socket containing the bulb into the headlight assembly. Using trial and error, you will eventually be able to feel when the socket is seated correctly.

Then, I use my thumb on one tab and the middle finger on the other tab to line up the tabs and twist. If I guess wrong, I give a quick glance to the front of the car where the headlight is, and make sure that the bulb looks like it is seated correctly, and wiggle the part a little.

Then, just give it another go.

The only other bit of advice deals with the driver side headlights. It is a REALLY TIGHT SPACE. So, give yourself some more room and take off the cover of the square air filter housing. First, release the 2 clips for the hose containing the air flow sensor. Then release the 5 clips holding the air filter housing cover to its base. That should give you enough room to take a stab at the headlight assembly.

I know this is a long post on a small topic, but there are fewer and fewer things on my car that I can actually work on. I was determined that I was going to replace my headlights myself, no matter what! (Next time, I'll probably get the mechanic to do it.)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

See less See more
#29 ·
figured out how to do it during Angel Eye install....nice to see this after i did it

#30 · (Edited)
After reading this post it took me less than a minute to change both low beam bulbs. It is funny how the simplest things can become hard and complicated without someone to point you to the right direction :hi:

By the way, I chose to replace my stock bulbs with the Philips X-treme Power. When I replaced the first one I just looked at it in comparison to the stock one and it already seems to be significantly brighter even under the sunlight. As soon as it gets dark I will check them and give you guys my impressions. By the way I paid almost $35 for a pair shipped from UK (from www.powerbulbs.com)

#31 · (Edited)
had a bulb blow on me--just used this for reference--only thing i can mention is to make sure you reference which way the bulb goes in the holder -- it does make a difference--spent a half hour trying to get the first one in -- after I figured it out,(tab on the bulb goes between the 2 widest pegs) had them both done in under 4 minutes

#32 ·
nice write up, very helpful for newbies wanting to upgrade lights

#33 ·
Headlight Bulb Replacement

Correct-just finished replacing both bulbs on my 1999 328i sedan.No need to remove any trim/screws/etc.-just turn the tabs and pull back carefully.I was v.v. careful because it is v.v. cold outside (-20 F) and I didn't want to break anything.Question-I used the $18 Sylvania bulb from Wal-Mart,how long will they last and are there better H7 bulbs out there?

#36 ·
Basic, but awesome! Glad to have found this. After reading this it took me all of a minute to take out the sockets and change the bulbs. The hardest part is aligning the sockets back in place so the tabs will twist in. Being over cautious about working on anything with my car, especially plastic parts, it took about all of another minute to get it back in place. Now I can drive at night again! Thanks for the great writeup and clear pictures!

#39 · (Edited)
just did mine, yay, although I have noticed a lot of the weatherstripping on the car is falling apart....UGHHHH

i PUT IN 7500K bulbs, definitely brighter, not sure if they look better, need to get better pics!

#41 ·
I read this like 5 times before attempting to change the driver side high beam. I took the air box out without a problem and was able to get my hand in the space fairly well. I spent about 3 hours trying to line up the stupid thing and in the end I only go one part secure and my hands got MUTILATED. People reading this that are thinking about changing it themselves, don't attempt to change these bulbs yourself if you are a n00b like me. Go to the ****ing mechanic and pay $50 or whatever they will charge. Its not worth the time and effort. I know it sounds easy after reading the above guide, but **** it. ****. MOTHER ****. :)

#45 ·
I can't even see the back of the bulbs in my car.

Maybe it's easy when you have access, but I've got a black cube of something that I don't know what it is blocking the access to the low beams.

I could change the highs easy enough it that was the on that was burned out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.