E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Sunroof won't open :( help me

4K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Geo31 
#1 ·
So a long while ago my sunroof shade was not working right and while opening the sunroof it took my shade to and jammed it.
Long story short

I had to force everything back out from my roof.
And now my sunroof does not work.
The motor works an I can hear it working as if everything where fine.
Except the sunroof does even attempt to move.

Could it be that something is off track ?
Any help much appreciated.

#4 ·
My guess is that the cassette is busted. I have a similar problem. The local chapter has a Wash, Wax, and Tech this Sunday and I plan to get a tech to help me figure out how to remove the headliner. I'm going to pick up a used cassette and slap that puppy in and redo my headliner at the same time.

#7 ·
Geez, all 3 of us are in TX. Damn, we all ought to gather somewhere and do all three cars in one day. We'll be experts by the end. Unfortunately, transporting the sunroof cassette is neigh on impossible in our cars (I think).

#18 ·
Make that 4 in TX. Im in for the ride guys. I am trying to work a deal right now for a cassette myself. The freakin cable on the drivers side came out of the housing and is bulging down my headliner right before the windshield. Sucks. I am not looking forward to ripping the interior apart.:facepalm:

#9 ·
Well, if I can get the headliner out this Sunday, I think that will be the hard part (and it's not supposed to be that hard). It's getting close to sunroof weather here in TX and I want to use it again (hasn't slid back in 2 years and hasn't propped up in a year).

#15 ·
I did take out the glass and couldn't find anything jamming.

My sunroof stopped sliding back so I just used the pop-up part for a year and then that stopped working on one side when I went to close it. I had to close it manually.

I think I'd have to take the cassette out to find out what's wrong with it and if I have to go through that much grief, I'd just as soon install a known working sunroof.

#19 ·
Our local chapter recently had a Wash, Wax, and Tech day, so I got a pretty good idea from talking to folks just what I have to do to get the headliner out. I may attempt it this weekend (have a LOT on my plate).

From what I've read, I think the hardest part of doing a cassette R&R is a) getting the headliner out, b) having two sets of hands to drop the cassette down, and c) wiggling the old cassette out and the new one in without hurting anything in the interior.

FastHackem, are you on Rennlist? I used to be VERY active there, but about 3 years ago kind of dropped off and only go there occasionally. Very knowledgeable 944 base there, or at least there was. I've stripped mine down to the component parts with the exception of the gas tank and suspension (which I will drop once I have time and money to build a rotisserie).

#21 ·
FastHackem, are you on Rennlist? I used to be VERY active there, but about 3 years ago kind of dropped off and only go there occasionally. Very knowledgeable 944 base there, or at least there was. I've stripped mine down to the component parts with the exception of the gas tank and suspension (which I will drop once I have time and money to build a rotisserie).
I think I signed up for Rennlist a couple of years back but I dont go on there. I only signed up to post a question I had about my 944 transmission but didnt get any help. :( What part of Houston do you reside?

#24 ·
Ah, Kingwood, I've got a buddy that I work with that just bought a home out there. My question was if anyone knew how to get the 1st gear to disengage from the transmission. I bought it used and when I installed it, it seems to be stuck in first gear and will not release for the life of me. The guy I bought it from was from Dallas and he swore up and down that it was working before he shipped it to me. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and am leaning toward it moving into gear during shipping. Wondering if I could remove a detant easily or what.

#32 ·
Cool. Looking forward to the report. I couldn't get to the headliner this past weekend and this weekend I'm in Galveston for a 10k and spending the weekend. Perhaps the following weekend I'll drop it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.