E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46 330d/auto heavy (intermittent) steering.

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Goughie 
#1 ·
Car is a E46 330d/auto.

What has been happening recently is that the steering gets "heavier" at random turning intervals.

Power steering fluid is all good.

Also had it flushed at Zeemax when I replaced the discs and pads on 16 March 2010.
No real major difference as steering still gets heavy at random intervals and then functions as normal (well I drive a facelift E90 320i sportpack and the steering felt just as heavy at low speeds as my E46) so maybe the problem is in my mind?

I went along to SMG Century City (Cape Town , South Africa) and spoke to one of the mechanics on the floor.
What he mentioned was that if the pump was going that it should be noisy and he checked the belts and they all ok.

There is one part that I bought that must still be installed which is a Banjo Bolt with 2 washers , the bolt acts like a valve (part number 32416781261) as well as the 2 washers (part number 32411093596)

See www.realoem.com -> http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EJ92&mospid=47643&btnr=32_1026&hg=32&fg=20&hl=17

Has anyone had this problem before and has the part above solved the problem?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Installed the new Banjo bolt (part number 32416781261) which made no real difference.
This bolt controls the pressure in the rack.
Whilst checking things out on the rack a leak was picked up on the right hand side of it.
Will have to have the steering rack refurbished / service (much cheaper than buying a new one)

Steering still feels firm and heavy but mechanic reckons it could just all be in my head (re the "heavy" steering)

#6 ·
This. As article states, reasonaby well known about in the UK (I have a 300d, too). :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.