E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Oil level sensor DIY fit

168K views 92 replies 55 participants last post by  Alex323Ci 
#1 ·
Hi. I posted on the general e46 board and the problem with my 2001 e46 325i SE saloon was diagnosed as a faulty oil level sensor. From my and other posts this seems to be a fairly common probblem.
Can anyone provide any info on how defficult it is to DIY fit a new sensor ? My dealer wants over 300 dollars for the job, so a DIY effort is quite appealing. Does anyone have and photos of a sendor unit and where it is located ? Can it be done using standard drive-on car ramps ? Thanks

#3 ·
It would be simple.

1. Raise the car (Ramps would work)
2. Drain the oil
3. Loosen the I think it's 2 but could be 4 small torx bolts
4. Unplug the sensor and put in the new one.
5. Refill with oil

I haven't done mine yet and my sensor is bad but it's pretty straight forward. The sensor itself is the expensive part I think ranging upwards to $90.00 plus the oil you need probably best to change out on your next oil change.

Jared

#4 ·
I'm guessing the only place to get the sensor is from the dealer.

#5 ·
Dev said:
I'm guessing the only place to get the sensor is from the dealer.
RealOEM lists it as ~ $130 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AM33&mospid=47718&btnr=11_2187&hg=11&fg=10&hl=74

But it's definately cheaper at either Circle or Pacific BMW

Pelican Parts lists it as: $127

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...e_wait=N&db_record_number=51861&PART_SEARCH=Y

Autohaus lists it here as: $105

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=ifl1y345y2dn3wnx3drdfj3a&partnumber=12617508003

#10 ·
I'm thinking that from the directions Ivegotissues666 gave, it should be pretty straight forward.

#11 ·
graemeeddie said:
Thanks, but does anyone have any photos or pages from a workshop manual ? I am having trouble visualizing replacing th esensor.
If you have changed the oil in your BMW before it's really hard to miss since the sensor is on the bottom of the oil pan that you need to drain. Put it this way it you ca change your oil, you can change the sensor out no problem. Otherwise it may be better if you take it to a Indy shop or dealer.

Jared

#13 ·
Your Oil level sensor needs to be changed.....and....you should change your coolant expansion tank along with the hoses and thermostat very very soon before your car overheats and you damage your engine. You might aswell do the waterpump while you are at it. It is going to cost you probably around $500 to do everything yourself but your car will be good for another 70K.

#14 ·
I had mine go out and I changed it this weekend. It's VERY easy.

1. This is a great time to change your oil. Drain your oil.

2. You have to remove the plastic FRONT AGGREGATE PROTECTIVE PLATE
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AW33&mospid=47728&btnr=51_3283&hg=51&fg=80&hl=1

3.Then remove REINFORCEMENT PLATE tha is if you have it. You have to remove this so you can get at the oil sensor. I can remember how many bolts there were but it's around 6 to 8.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AW33&mospid=47728&btnr=51_4456&hg=51&fg=75&hl=7

4. Once you see the sensor remove the three bolts. Then pull it out.

5. Dont overtighten the bolts to the oil sensor or your going to have magor problems. Reinstall everything backwards.

#17 ·
Sorry it was only for E39 and X5 I have trouble keeping all these bulitions straight!! Although many e46's have had sofware updates to correct drivablity programs that may or may not have been done yet.

Refer to Service Information bulletins 11 51 00 (X5) or 11 08 00 (525i). Early production vehicles (both X5 with M62, and E39 (525i)) require a coding change to correct a condition where the low oil warning is set.

#19 ·
ok, i did this last week to an e46 325ci ('01). There are 8 bolts that hold the reinforcement plate in. ausfahrt's directions are right on point. the sensor is on the rear of the oil pan by the driver side :)

no reprogram was needed and the car is perfect now. damn this car is close to new now hehe. all belts, pulleys, waterpump, fluids, etc have been changed and nobody wants to buy at the low price :(

tanks
meek

#21 ·
I'm going to be replacing the oil level sensor on my '02 coupe in not too long, along with an oil change. How tough is that reinforcement plate to remove? Looks like it has to come off to get at the sensor.

Also, my Bentley manual says that the bolts securing it should be replaced every time they're removed, because they're "use once" fasteners. Anybody know offhand what size and grade they are, so I can get replacements before starting the job?

Thanks in advance.

#22 ·
I'm going to be replacing the oil level sensor on my '02 coupe in not too long, along with an oil change. How tough is the reinforcement plate to remove? Looks like it has to come off to get at the sensor.

Can one do this on ramps, or do you need jackstands for this? I prefer to use ramps for stuff where the wheels don't have to come off, but I note that the Bentley manual says not to drive the car without the reinforcement plate installed, so I'm a little worried about keeping weight on the wheels while removing the plate.

Also, my Bentley manual says that the bolts securing it should be replaced every time they're removed, because they're "use once" fasteners. Anybody know offhand what size and grade they are, so I can get replacements before starting the job?

Thanks in advance.

#23 ·
yes you can do it on ramps no problem just wear some dirty clothes while you're at it, lots of dust/sand or road debris down there when you take off the skid plate mostlikely you'll hold it on your chest which is fine it's not heavy.
as far as the fasteners, i don't think you have to change them, but here's the part numbers just in case
HEX NUT BM6-8-ZNNIV SI quantity: 3 part # 07129905411

#25 ·
I was referring to the bolts securing the reinforcement plate; sorry if that wasn't clear. And yes, I did buy eight new ones of those from the dealership.
ooh those bolts, to tell you the truth, i had no idea about them, been taking that darn plate off about 10 times so far and still using original bolts, they seem to work ok still

Biggest problem was torquing the fasteners back down for that plate--was a *real* pain to turn the rear ones the required 90+30 degrees, even with a two-foot breaker bar. They're recessed, and in at an angle, so it's not easy to apply the amount of torque they require.
what works for me is i use a short maybe 3inch extention with the socket and tighten them by hand using that, fits pretty good in those recessed holes, then i slap on a ratchet...

that NASA thing is funny, i remember that story
i couldn't do the no dipstick thing, i'm really not liking the way some newer car designs go, and it's not just bmw, mercedes is the same going away from the dipstick relying on a stupid sensor.

#27 ·
Hey guys, when doing this did u guys buy a new oilpan gasket too, or is the one on there fine to re-use?

What's the oil sensor part#, and gasket, if needed.
The sensor I bought came complete with a new gasket, but I'd buy a new gasket if the sensor I bought didn't come with one.

www.realoem.com should have part numbers--not sure if they're different year-to-year.

For a 2002 330Ci--my car--the part numbers are:
Oil level sensor: 12617508003 (no indication that it comes with a new gasket)
Gasket: 12611744292

Yours may be different. Also, ask the parts person whether the sensor you order comes with a new gasket--no sense in ordering an extra gasket you don't need.

#28 ·
Ok, cool.
Ill have a looksee when I get home in the morn.

I know a guy that knows a guy. So I should be able to get it cheaper than normal.

Also, I was thinking. Are these replacement sensors an upgraded better one, or will they be doing the same as the original one in a couple thousand miles or so?

#29 ·
Unless someone knows better, I would suspect they're identical to OEM.

It seems that one thing that often leads to failure is draining the oil with the key turned on. The sensor was not meant to be entirely dry. Draining the sump with the sensor powered up burns out the sensor.

Reading the threads on this board, I do note that a suspicious number of these sensors fail soon after someone has an oil change performed somewhere. :hmm:

I really feel bad for E90 owners who don't have a dipstick as a backup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.