E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Car won't crank, battery good, ghost problem, please help...

40K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  mogulmaniac 
#1 ·
I am growing really desperate; occasionally, sometimes twice daily, sometimes twice weekly, etc car won't even crank when ingintion's turned. Just silence, nothing else (well, beeps if seatbelt not fastened). Dashboard lights DO NOT die when turning the ignition, also no clicking sound, so I know it's NOT the battery (tried jumping as well, no difference). Just regular lights ON and no crank, nothing...

So I thought based on some previous threads that it might be my key / transponder (for immobilizer) going bad, and the car thinks I'm using a wrong key thus blocking the ingnition - so I ordered a new key and SAME THING (the new key is good, I tested it and it started the car fine, when the problem temporarily goes away).

After a good two week period, daily problems again. What can this be?? I was just stuck for 10 minutes in the parking lot, trying the ignition many times and nothing. Then it finally cranks and starts beautifully. Sometimes I get this feeling that something isn't ready so the car waits - as several times it would start cranking only about a second after I turned the ignition to START, so with a bit of delay.

Help please....

See less See more
#7 ·
Ignition switch in the steering column. It could be the starter motor, but since you say that your dash lights aren't even dimming when you try to start, I'm thinking it's a faulty ignition switch. Turn your headlights on. If the lights don't go off or at least dim when you try to start, then your ignition switch isn't doing what it's supposed to do. Hope that helps.

#8 ·
It could be the starter motor, but since you say that your dash lights aren't even dimming when you try to start, I'm thinking it's a faulty ignition switch. Turn your headlights on. If the lights don't go off or at least dim when you try to start, then your ignition switch isn't doing what it's supposed to do. Hope that helps.
My car didn't dim anything when my started died -- it just wouldn't start.

#14 ·
im assuming u using the original key..... the battery inside the keys dying. u gotta use the valet key. it dont recognize it and thats why it dont click. im sure ur lights and radio comes on, just no crank, not even click. USE VALET KEY
The battery serves to operate the remote features of the car only; you do not need a working battery to actually start it as the transponder works in much the same way RFID does.
Did all other symptoms match exactly what I have when your starter died?
Well, once my starter died, it died... nothing I did could start my car... luckily that was the day I was supposed to take it to my mechaninc to get the starter replaced.

Basically, all I would hear was a slight click and then nothing... everything worked, but the engine would not turn over. The only other symptom I had was a weak starter for two days (it behaved exactly the same as a weak battery) and then nothing.

Radaddict may be right, though -- it could simply be that the ignition switch's not making proper contact, hence the random starts.

#19 ·
Basically, all I would hear was a slight click and then nothing... everything worked, but the engine would not turn over. The only other symptom I had was a weak starter for two days (it behaved exactly the same as a weak battery) and then nothing.

Radaddict may be right, though -- it could simply be that the ignition switch's not making proper contact, hence the random starts.

This is exactly what happened to me yesterday, I have been roll starting my car everywhere. Where is the starter/how hard is it to replace? I already ordered the part:ben:eek:r how much in labor did you get charged?

#9 ·
Mine was doing the same thing, but my immobilizer was throwing a code. i don't think the starter, fuel pump or cam sensor would cause that. so i'm going to bet that its the antenna (the ring around your ignition) I've read of those going bad...

#16 ·
hey I read your PM. yeah I fixed my problem my replacing the HID wiring harness. My +ve end burned because I didn't install it properly. After I replace and install harness correctly everything worked! (I was not able to start the car with jump start either)

If you installed any after market parts I suggest you to move them first and see if you can start your engine. (HID, angel eyes etc.) hope you can fix your problem!

#17 ·
Mine was doing the same thing. I'm led to believe it's my clutch switch. Assuming yours is a manual, try this; turn key to start position first, push clutch pedal second. I haven't had a problem starting my car since I reversed the starting procedure. If it's an auto that you drive, then it's probably the starter.

#24 · (Edited)
Are you absolutely sure your car was not making any sound when you turned the key to start?

The reason I'm asking is that I once had a 92 Camry and a bad starter was making itself visible in a different way - it would make a loud weeee sound but wouldn't crank the engine. Something was audibly turning on it but it wasn't engaging the crankcase. So are you positive your bad starter was making NO sound whatsoever (like wee or clicking or anything?)??

PS. Oh, and thanks for the links... now it makes me feel a whole lot better... Knowing there are so many other ppl having identical problem. I just soooo hope so I won't have to replace that damn starter. I'd rather keep a long screwdriver with me and hit the damn thing each time it acts up... Speaking of rocking the car to make the starter move a bit - this makes sense now, a few times my car started fine right after I popped my hood - which made no sense until now - the sudden release of the hood locks sent a small vibration through the whole engine bay, thus, perhaps accomplishing what you've described.

#33 ·
So, is the general consensus in this thread that the likely culprit is the starter? I have an '03 330xi that gave the same 'weak battery' symptoms and now lies motionless in my driveway. I tried multiple keys, but to no avail. Just want to eliminate all 'cheap fixes' before I ship it over to my local indy.

#34 ·
So i own a BMW 325i and i am having the same problem currently. My car will sometimes start and sometimes not. Sometimes i go to drive it and the lights turn on and juice is flowing, but no clicking sound when I turn my key. I replaced my starter about 5 months ago and so I don't think it is your starter since you have the same symptoms i am having. I have tried different keys with no luck, I have replaced my battery, I replaced my neutral safety switch, and now I am out of ideas. Please let us know when you figure out what is wrong and I will to the same If i find a cure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.