E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How to keep things from sliding around in the trunk?

8K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Alex323Ci 
#1 ·
how do you keep things from sliding around in your trunk? its really annoying, i get papers and stuff all over my trunk from driving around. is there like a cargo net or something that i can use to prevent stuff in the trunk from sliding around? thanks in advance :)

#7 ·
Cobra said:
how do you keep things from sliding around in your trunk? its really annoying, i get papers and stuff all over my trunk from driving around. is there like a cargo net or something that i can use to prevent stuff in the trunk from sliding around? thanks in advance :)
A cargo net will just let stuff fly around in a smaller controlled area. I have an old milk carton crate. It is a metal wire-frame crate about 18"x12"x12". Strapped it down centered and pushed against the back of the back seats with a long bungee cord using two of the trunk hold-down clamps. I put all my extra car tools, owners manual, a small fold-up back-pack shovel, first aid kit, etc. Does not slide around or lose its contents. Plus, if hauling something smaller that I don't want to tip over, such as a growler full of beer on the way home from the pub, I have a smaller bungee that I strap to the metal frame work, wrap it around, and strap it on the other side of the crate. Works good for me.

#8 ·
lol this sounds dumb but i found two rubbermaid baskets at wal-mart that fit in the two slots perfectly. they came with lids, hence no stuff flying around anymore.

bigger stuff tends to be a problem, i ended up flipping the trunk mat around to where the rubber side is up - more grip that way, i guess :dunno:

#9 ·
djabaley said:
flip the trunk mat over to find a lovely rubberized surface (at least in my car)
I have the same problem, until I fliped my trunk mat around and saw the rubberized black matting. I also got a container to put several loose items in. It works great.:thumbup:

#14 ·
generic cargo net at automotive store

http://www.skoda-auto.com/newoctavia/images/card/card_exterierback_2_3.jpg

the second picture (bottom one) shows a cargo net holding an umbrella. I bought that net from a Canadian Tire store in Canada. It is an automotive/Hardware store for $20 Can.
This generic net comes with 4 tie-downs. It is suposed to be used like the net in the middle of the cars flooring (spread out like a blanket net), but I doubled it up, so it is like a hammock, and i screwed the tie-downs into the back of the rear tail light housings. Actually, there were lots of holes in it already, so i just put the tie-down into one of the holes, so I never had to create another hole actually.
it works perfectly!!!

#17 ·
i forgot. in the BMW accessories catalog, BMW has a trunk organizer that folds flat when not in use and pops up when you need to use it.

BMW has 3 trunks kits. The first picture is the one i was talking about. Says it should hold 40 pounds of stuff. here's a link

http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/acc.htm
Search for Luggage Compartment Tray

Attachments

#18 ·
Cobra said:
To answer your question simply, yes there is a cargo net that is made just for this. It's about $50.
There have been many other options listed and one more(but for the inside of your car is to add the first aid box(es) to the underside of the front of your seats. I have the cargo net, and two first aid boxes.

http://www.bmw325i.net/rev_firstaid_box.shtml

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.