E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How I fixed my Airbag Light that just came on

19K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  MrMotorwerk 
#1 · (Edited)
After vacuuming under my seat, my Airbag light came on today. After reading everyone's posts about how BMW will charge $$$$ to replace the seatmat or just to reset it... I did a DIY..

Opened the cluster and put black electrical tape behind the "Airbag" icon.

yeah... I know... ghetto... just a temporary fix until I feel like taking it to BMW. only took me 5 minutes

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
CSLM3 said:
Why not just pull the instrument cluster fuse #10 to get rid of the light. That's what i did and everything else on the cluster still works. :thumbup:
I have read a ton of AirBag threads and have never seen this mentioned, it works? and only the airbag warning light is affected?

#8 ·
PLAZAMAN said:
i do know what your talking about. but i think its really stupid.
Dude, that's pretty rude.

You shouldn't have to pay 50-75.00 and an hour sitting at the dealer for vacuming your car and his method of eliminating the light is effective.

#11 ·
I agree, and hopefully he realizes that.

Hopefully people will not use this knowledge to cover up a problem when they are selling the car.

Kick tires, check fuses and look for electrical tape behind the instrument cluster

#12 ·
Zyaltr said:
While your saving 75.00 your entire SRS system in now non-fuctioning.
I was going to ask the same thing. I am not sure if this is correct info, but have heard mentioned(but could be wrong info)that if the SRS safety light is on, that the system shuts down the airbags for preventing them from going off incorrectly. So if the airbag light is on, does anyone know for sure if it shuts off the Airbag system? If not, then tape or fuse would be a nice cover-up of that annoying light until a dealer visit.

#14 ·
MikeL said:
That is true, your airbags will not deploy in the event of an accident if your light is on. A lot of times the airbag light will go on because of faulty seat belt buckle sensors. IMHO, i think having the airbags disabled is dangerous.
The computer should be smart enough to distinguish between a situation where the airbags would deploy erroneously and something as simple as a bad seat belt sensor.

But I guess not according to the posts I have read.

#16 ·
blue_bimma said:
After vacuuming under my seat, my Airbag light came on today. After reading everyone's posts about how BMW will charge $$$$ to replace the seatmat or just to reset it... I did a DIY..

Opened the cluster and put black electrical tape behind the "Airbag" icon.

yeah... I know... ghetto... just a temporary fix until I feel like taking it to BMW. only took me 5 minutes
That's not a fix. That is just being G H E T T O!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.