E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Engine (e46) will not start, please help.

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  323ciGuy 
#1 ·
My first problem is the moonroof not closing. Whenever I press the close button it closes then retracts as if something is blocking it but I've checked and nothing. So right now, the moonroof is open and I tried parking the car in the garage but the engine won't start, rather it's just two loud clicks. Maybe it's because the moonroof is still open? I don't know what to do.

#2 ·
musicvibe said:
My first problem is the moonroof not closing. Whenever I press the close button it closes then retracts as if something is blocking it but I've checked and nothing. So right now, the moonroof is open and I tried parking the car in the garage but the engine won't start, rather it's just two loud clicks. Maybe it's because the moonroof is still open? I don't know what to do.
How's the battery doing? Does the stereo work?

#8 ·
Derek_325Ci said:
If it is a 2004 there is a recall. I have a 325 coupe so I dont know if the recall includes sedans as well. The recall has something to do with the battery going dead so if your car is a 2004 there is a good chance this is whats causing it.
i wish! but it's an '01. the stereo, the lights and everything else works perfect including the power windows. it's just the sunroof and the engine being a pain :bawling: even though there is power, should i still use a jumper cable?

#9 ·
musicvibe said:
i wish! but it's an '01. the stereo, the lights and everything else works perfect including the power windows. it's just the sunroof and the engine being a pain :bawling: even though there is power, should i still use a jumper cable?

Jump it. Everything worked perfect in my 330 when the battery died, cept it wouldn't start.

-Brett

#12 ·
Question for you guys

I have a manual car and sometimes it does this. The car wont start but stereo and everything else is fine. I do depress the clutch all the way down prior to turning the key. The engine just wont start. It would do this randomly. Would this be a battery problem?

FYI, I did take it to the dealers and they gave me the famous "we cant duplicate it" comment. Any help is appreciated. :dunno:

#13 ·
1) Sun Roof: The same thing happened to me. I would have to help it out manually (guide it along). Brought it back to the dealership and they put a new motor in. Now it works fine. (covered under warranty)

2) Engine won't start: How often do you rotate your keys? If that battery goes dead in your key, I don't think your car will start because of the chip. I was told by BMW to rotate them every year so they can keep a charge by the ignition. But this could be SO many different things, just trying to cover the most obvious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.