E46 Fanatics Forum banner

BMW E46 diesel!

5K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  uninformed 
#1 ·
wath good in these engines (or bad)
Is there some owners who can let me know!

Some links also will be nice!

Thank you :)

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Tauri said:
wath good in these engines (or bad)
Is there some owners who can let me know!

Some links also will be nice!

Thank you :)
I have a 320d, and it is a wonderfull ride. Can't beat that torque (ok, the 330d will). It will smoke your 320i, that's for sure... :thumbup: The milage is awesome too. I have an average of 5.4l/100km, and I'm not going 120km/h on the motorways, if you know what I mean....

#6 ·
I've got a 320d and I average at 7L/100km. Lots of city driving and when I hit a motorway I go fast... faster than most cars :) It is mostly OK, but here are the things I hate about it:

1. It's very sluggish in the first gear. When you want to start fast, or go uphill from a stop, it is not nice at all. It simply sucks at that. This is the turbine lag for you. If it's below 2K RPM, it is "yeah I hear ya but it takes time!"

2. It is a major disaster in winter if you go somewhere where it is really cold (and I actually like doing that kind of things; the Americans on this board may ignore it).

3. You must wash your hands after you refuel it. Even when you use gloves.

Bottomline, it is a nice car when you just drive it daily just for the sake of going from A to B, but the fun factor is not there. It does handle as well as as the other 3-series, though.

#10 ·
CAR magazine just had a very positive review on the new 535d (twin-turbo diesel)

#11 ·
I recently spent some time in the UK and drove a 330d. It was amazing! Other than the slight clattering at start up, I couldn't tell the car had a diesel engine! And yes, it FELT a lot faster than my 330i.

I wish we had access to diesel performance cars here in the States.

#12 ·
Man ...you see the word Diesel. And all the European guys come out of the woodwork. :woot:

I was just over in Portugal. Saw some really Bwms on the road. I wish I had an opportunity to test drive a 530D. I rented a ....get this.....Ford Focus turbo diesel. I laughed at the guy when he said Ford. :yikes: The rental guy insisted that they had nothing else for me.

But with an open mind, I tried it out. Man this thing was not like the my dad's MB diesel. Quiet and fast.

A friend of mine just picked up the VW passat diesel. WOW...very nice :bow:

I would be definetly interested in a diesel 530 if they ever make them for the US.

#13 ·
gpchamp said:
I recently spent some time in the UK and drove a 330d. It was amazing! Other than the slight clattering at start up, I couldn't tell the car had a diesel engine! And yes, it FELT a lot faster than my 330i.

I wish we had access to diesel performance cars here in the States.
320d faster than 320i or 330d faster than 330i:

320ci: http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/p...coupe/index.html?content=datasheet_320ci.html

Acceleration 0-100 km/h (in s) 8.3

320cd: http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/products/automobiles/showroom/3series/coupe/datasheet_320cd.html

Acceleration 0-100 km/h (in s) 8.8

330ci: http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/p...coupe/index.html?content=datasheet_330ci.html

Acceleration 0-100 km/h (in s) 6.5

330cd: http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/p...coupe/index.html?content=datasheet_330cd.html

Acceleration 0-100 km/h (in s) 7.2

Generally speaking, it does get better as RPM go up, but it is nothing like the instant response of the "i" versions at low RPM.

#14 ·
uninformed said:
320d faster than 320i or 330d faster than 330i:

Generally speaking, it does get better as RPM go up, but it is nothing like the instant response of the "i" versions at low RPM.

Yo may be right as far as comparing BMW with BMW, but IMHO, Bimmer cars lose on low end torque "war" with especially Japanese cars.... but that's where the mod fun comes in ... :p

#15 ·
I am not convinced that the diesel engine is the "ultimate" answer in that war, then. Like I said, the (BMW) diesels have most problems precisely at the low RPMs, they are worse than the conventional (BMW) engines in that range.

But as have been pointed out many times on this board, comparing BMWs against those Japanese on steroids is just wrong. Performance figures notwithstanding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.