E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Rattle in Convertible Top?

35K views 54 replies 32 participants last post by  Johnnynewsround 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced a rattle in their covertible top? I have a 2004 325CiC and I have an annoying rattle that only occurs when the top is up. It seems to originate from the back of the top on the passenger side. I took it to the dealership and they sade they torqued some bolts underneath and it seemed to be fixed for a while but now it's back. I live in Chicago and it's really cold here now which could be a factor.

I'm taking it back to the dealership on Monday, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this so I can give the dealership some hints.

#27 ·
After taking the car to the dealer a few times, I just gave up on fixing it... - The noise seems to disappear for short time after dealer touches it but returns shortly after.

I just accepted it as the cabrio DNA as TheRiddle's pointed out...

#28 ·
...especially when it's cold outside......

actually my car is squeaking all around.. (means that she's missing summer :rolleyes: )..

when i clean the inside of the car (if the weather is ok) i always open the top,doing this the grease into the junction is "waked up".. and for a while she stills quiet...

IMHO with hardtop mounted it squeaks the same

#29 ·
I think the 330cic has more squeaks in the seats and doors than it does in the convertible top. As convertible drivers we are all used to having more road noise and some rattling here and there from the convertible top, but my 330 seems to have noises in the door panels and in my drivers seat (sports seats) which cracks and groans all the time whenever my weight is shifted. I find those noises much more aggravating than any of the top's noises.

#30 · (Edited)
I've been hearing rattles but nothing from the drop top. The noise is comming from the doors as if the plastic peices used to hold the door panel are loose in their fittings. Maybe its different from your problem but just as annoying, even when I turn the stereo on the bass makes it more evident. I should take it in to the dealer to have it looked just didn't get a chance yet.

Anyone know where I could get the cheapest red and clear tail lights for the convertible? Bought the one's for the coupe to my surprise the coupes are different from the convertible so I posted them on ebay if anyone is interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33716&item=2455595068

#32 ·
Fix for the rattle in the Convertible top

RayC said:
I ditto all of you for the rattling noise. My driver seat squeak, the steering wheel squeak, the rear tonneau cobver squeak, and the driver's side convertible top rattle on bumps. I've taken my car in 4 times in the last year to fix all the annoying noises. I dont' think they really did anything on my first 3 visits, they pretty much just gave me the talk about how convertible doesn't have the b-piller support and it's normal for some ratting noise, spray some lub and gave it back to me. On my 4th visit I made friend with one of the tech that specialize in convertibles (I saw him on a bike and we both ride so we started talking) and he fixed all my rattling noise in one visit and they never came back. I think if they really look into it, they can fix it. It's just that most of the time I dont' think they really tried to fix it, just lub it and call it done.

Ray
Since the rattle in your convertible top was fixed, can you find out from your new BMW service repair person what he did to fix it. I have taken my 325Cic in at least 6 seperate times and they say its fixed every time but it starts rattling as soon as I get in the car and hit the smallest bump on the road. It is coming from the rear passengers side behind safty bars. It's driving me bonkers! I have spent more time at the dealership than with my wife. She's starting to suspect / think that I am not really at the dealership. Too Funny!Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#33 ·
I've got two rattles. One is caused by having tint on the windows. The tint covers whatever they put on the windows and rubs against the door seal. A little gummi phlege every couple months and it goes away. The other is from the right rear behind the back seat and it doesn't sound the same as the window rattle. It sounds more metal on metal. I've always figured it comes from my daughter's car seat because it goes away if I give her seat a quick jerk (without her in it of course :) )

As for my passenger window, it sticks up maybe 1/4 inch above the door when down. It's not even noticeable.

#34 ·
The dealer told me that they couldn't cover my speakes and rattles since my car is an 01 m3 with 43k miles. I thought that it extends to 50,000 miles or 4 years. I'm covered only for engine/mechanical parts. Lets get more info on service action #54-200-03. :idea: this maybe could solve my rattles.

Thanks
:thumbup:

#35 ·
I have had this exact same rattle in the right rear of my 04 330 convertible. It took two visits but after the second visit it was fixed. They told me that there was a service bulletin for this problem and a known fix for it. They replaced something and realigned something. Not sure exactly what they did but there's definitely a known fix for it if they do their research.

Now I have this really horrible squeek/rattle coming from my driver's side window top. They've told me to bring it in and they'll try and fix it. It is really, really loud and right next to my ear. I'll bring it in soon.

Don't accept that top rattle, they can fix it.

#36 ·
Machan said:
Has anyone experienced a rattle in their covertible top? I have a 2004 325CiC and I have an annoying rattle that only occurs when the top is up. It seems to originate from the back of the top on the passenger side. I took it to the dealership and they sade they torqued some bolts underneath and it seemed to be fixed for a while but now it's back. I live in Chicago and it's really cold here now which could be a factor.

I'm taking it back to the dealership on Monday, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this so I can give the dealership some hints.
this is prolly bad to say here but i am glad that i didnt go with the m3cab and got the hardtop again after the 330.. Cos i heard the rattling noises are nasty.. and hard tops feel more secure while parking at some places.. but well the chicks love it! I have another friend who asked 2 ladies which car they like better and they all wanted the 330cab instead of my m3coupe lol. Good luck fixing it ! :thumbup:

#37 ·
My top has no rattles whatsoever. The rest of the car is pretty much squeak-free too. :dunno:

#38 ·
i am ahving exact same problem...from rear passenger area...rattle will drive you up the f-ing wall! but radio covers it up

if you know a permanent fix, let me know!

#40 ·
So, i took my car to BMW today to get various noises fixed in my BMW. here are some solutions that may help. FYI, i had the head mechanic test drive the car with me and he personally worked on my car, so if this doesn't work, don't know what will...

1) The outside release cable on the passenger door was making noises, so they removed the panel and installed foam around the release cable

2) Lube the convertable top seals

3) Lube your hood pins

4) they performed bulletin 54-200-03, which has to do with the tension rear bow seal. This actually was ROBIN5's suggestion!!

Hope this helps...just got the car back now..will if noises continue

Mike

#41 · (Edited)
I had (still do some) the exact rattles around my windows. First thing I did was to measure the "height" of the window frames from the door panels. My driver side was about 1/4" shorter than the passenger side, which made me believe the window glass itself is touching the metal frame inside the weather seal on the canvas top. I don't think they are not supposed to, but since the soft-top is being a "moving" part, they do get out of alignment I think.

I tried to "push" up the frame abit with my bare hands, and it did got rid of some of the rattles, but I was afraid to do any more of this pursuation that I might bend it even break the frame itself if too much. Then, the light bulb went off in my head. Why not put some weather strips inside to avoid the contact? So, I ended up buying the 1/8" caulk saver stipes (round) and squeezed it around the seal after cutting them to right length... then. 90% of the rattles gone. I can only hear very slight rattle during cornering and over some bumps. It just costed me less than $3 bucks (actually around $10 for trying different weather strips from Home Depot). If someone finds better material, let me know so it can be 100% rattle-free.

Hope this helps...

BTW, does anyone know where I can find the rubber seal around the real bottom of the top? Mine is broken off close to the driver side edge. It doesn't leak or anything, but like to replace it(it does make a very small squeek cornering). Looks like a 5-min job. Just can't find the rubber seal. Thanks in advance...

#42 ·
I had a 2002 325 CIc and never had convertable top noises. I now have a 2006 330 CIc w/16K miles and when going slow the is a constant popping noise. (I bought the car last week). I took it to the dealer and they replaced the seals on the top. Picked up the car today 2/27/10 popping noise is still there. Will call dealer. This is totally unaceptable! Anyone else have a popping sound?

#43 ·
Convertible roof rattles

Two different rattles in my new 2002 BMW convertible now solved (silence is golden!) Many thanks to the members who pointed me in the correct direction.
Dont listen to people who say you have to put up with these rattles - they can be sorted.

Rattle No.1 was with the tops of both windows making a noise against the roof. I followed the suggestion to put a rubber strip in the roof where the
window touches. I used some rubber actually used in house double glazed windows. This did the job perfectly.

Rattle No 2 was where the roof touches the rear deck. I followed the BMW service modification suggestion (talked about on the forum) by pushing a tube inside the rubber seal on the roof (where it touches the boot) . I actually used some satillite cable as the tubing. I did it in two halves from each side, meeting in the middle, as it is hard pushing it through (lubricate the cable first). This mod increases the tension and completely cured the creeking. Thanks again to those who put me in the right direction.

I have now joined so I can feed back my experience and hopefully help others.

#48 ·
Did Rattle #2 "fix" hold up?

Two different rattles in my new 2002 BMW convertible now solved (silence is golden!) Many thanks to the members who pointed me in the correct direction.
Dont listen to people who say you have to put up with these rattles - they can be sorted.

Rattle No.1 was with the tops of both windows making a noise against the roof. I followed the suggestion to put a rubber strip in the roof where the
window touches. I used some rubber actually used in house double glazed windows. This did the job perfectly.

Rattle No 2 was where the roof touches the rear deck. I followed the BMW service modification suggestion (talked about on the forum) by pushing a tube inside the rubber seal on the roof (where it touches the boot) . I actually used some satillite cable as the tubing. I did it in two halves from each side, meeting in the middle, as it is hard pushing it through (lubricate the cable first). This mod increases the tension and completely cured the creeking. Thanks again to those who put me in the right direction.

I have now joined so I can feed back my experience and hopefully help others.

I bought a 26,000 miles 2006 E46 M3 vert last October and am just strarting to drive it. It is nearly noise-free top down, but makes plasticy rattle noises when the top is up. I think the problem is what you described as Rattle #2. Before I read about BMW TSB 54-200-03, I treated the weather stripping at the rear of the top with Gummifluge and put some quality car wax on the channel of the plastic top cover itself, where the weather stripping makes contact when the top is up. This did help with the noise, but did not eliminate it. Then I found out about TSB 54-200-03, but have not found it to read. The description is pretty obvious, though: a kludge where you cut the hollow weather stripping open and stuff something stiff like plastic tubing or coax cable down it to make it stiffer.

I am curious how long this "fix" holds up. I would guess that if I had a BMW dealer do it, being out of warranty, it would be a couple hundred bucks. I can also do it myself, of course. In either case if it just lasts a short time, it would not be worth the money or the time.

Appreciate any input.

- nopcbs

#44 ·
can you elaborate on the rubber stripping? what kind.. pics of it maybe, etc.

My car rattles and shakes pretty vigorously when I hit bumps on the road, like I can physically see my rearview mirror shake (I'd say about .5in back and forth real quick on a hard bump) along with the car making so many noises it sounds like its falling apart :(

#47 ·
If you have tinted windows that will make the squeaky top even worse. Because on the vertical edge of the windows where they meet the seal, there are these little painted dots on the glass. These are there to minimize the noise of glass on rubber. If you have tints, the film covers these dots and therefore makes them obsolete. I've read that if you Rejex the glass inside and out, applying liberally to the edges all the way around, and treat the rubber with GummiPledge, it helps a lot. I just placed my order for both last night, so when it arrives we'll see what happens.

#50 ·
I think so

The rattle in my hood is heavy, it sounds like the exhaust is hitting the car when going over bumps, but I'm pretty sure it is the hood because it only occurs with the hood up. Please can anyone tell me is this the same as referenced in the service bulletin ?? Thanks, John

I think so, it is pretty noisy. In any case, you should try the fix. It is very easy and inexpensive and you want to do it, anyway, for diagnostic purposes, if nothing else. If it does not help, you might have something more serious wrong. Also, if it only happens top up, it pretty much must be top related.

By the way, Mike (God bles him!) Miller put my letter in the latest issue of the BMW Car Club of America magazine, in his Tech Talk column.

- nopcbs

#53 ·
Okay, I tried this fix using a piece of coax cable, but then the hood wouldn't close so took it out. On further investigation I found the rattle to be coming from the hood bag, only when open. I have now affixed sticky foam around all the edges and cured the problem. I am still surprised that this rattle sounded so heavy, when it was actually coming from just some plastic bits. John

#55 ·
I've done a little more investigating and found that what makes a difference is adding some foam to the rearmost vertical and horizontal parts of the hood bag frame. I affixed some sticky back window foam with a section of 5 x 9 and 290 long each side. This has made a really big difference to my car, but the rattle was only ever apparent with the hood up and the hood bag open. I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.