E46 Fanatics Forum banner

TIS Installation FAQ's

62K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Mele4nyc 
#1 ·
I believe I can fix anything, although a service manual really helps. I downloaded the TIS (Technical Information Service) which in American English is simply a service manual on a CD.
All available advice on how to install the TIS in High Geek, which I don't speak. After much mucking around, I was able to install the TIS on Windows 98 as well as XP operating systems. Here in plain english is how it is done:
First, install Bittorrent and then download the cd image from here: http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3367808&fl#show
You may have to click on the "play" button a couple times to get it to work. Check the "log" menu to make sure the torrent is running and downloading. It will take about 8 hours.
2nd, ignore all advice about "mounting the CD" or "creating a bootable disc with Nero" and instead download and install the free "undisker" program, run it and "extract" to convert the downloaded CD image into all the files that would normally be on a CD.
3rd, put all the files on one CD.
4th, install the Sysadm program that is at WIN95\BMW\TIS\setup.exe, and the Sysadm will then be an icon on your desktop.
5th, and this is the part usually left unexplained, YOU MUST INSTALL the "Microsoft Data Access 2.1" which is at WIN95\ODBC_xp (for Windows XP -- but for Windows 98 you go into the ODBC_40 folder to find the "install.exe" program). Then, the next trick is that for Windows XP, the "install.exe" file will NOT work, so click directly on "ORACLIEN.MSI" and it will install the Microsoft ODBC program that is necessary for the TIS.
6th, go to the Sysadm and click on TIS, click "install" in the pulldown menu and then say "blammo" 3 times (I made that last part up) and the TIS will install. Choose install to your hard drive. You can choose USA English or English English (I installed both on 2 different CPU's) and both have info' that looks exactly the same to me but some say that you don't get all the info' with the USA English install, but I don't believe it. Either way, you must keep in mind that BMW English is essentially British English, so a Saloon is what we call a 4-door sedan, and so forth.
Good luck, or should I say cheers.

See less See more
#4 ·
I never had the problem you described. The "icon on the desktop" was a user-choice that always appeared as a "radio button" after the 4th step.

I did this install 3 times, on 3 different machines, to test it, so I think I have it right, but there may be something else going on. Don't give up. I spent 6 hours one day trying to get the TIS installed without any success. Then, about a month after that failure, I went back to the drawing boards, and it was another two hours for me to get to the "blammo" stage, where as if by magic the TIS worked. Actually, I read every text document on the disk, and guessed a lot, and clicked on icons. Then I did the install twice more, to make sure I could document it.

My guesses for you:
(1) Is there a "BMW 95" listed in your "Start>All Programs" buttons. If so, the icon on the desktop is not necessary, and merely is a convenience.
(2) Is sysadm listed in your "Control Panel>Install Uninstall New Software"? If so, the sysadm is somewhere, right?

#9 ·
This TIS folder is still not downloadable......:banghead:

If Tom`s out there - On 2 seperate occassions, i managed to download 2 folders ,one around 7mb and the other 1.5mb !!:confused:

Saved the 1.5mb onto a dvd and was able to get to the stage where i clicked on install in sysadm drop down window - however "no setup files found"!

With the 7mb version, i can`t install sysadm to the desktop!

With undisker, where do you extract the TIS files to ( CD or alternate folder?)

Thanks

#12 ·
I downloaded the ETK also which is their parts catalog. If you want the ETK download it using bittorrent also but you will have to uninstall all of TIS FIRST, then install ETK and then TIS.

For some reason it wont install ETK if you have TIS already.

ETK password is: berlin56

for those that want this also.

-Richie

#19 ·
hey fellas,

I don't know why but whatever language I pick, USA English, English, German(thought language was reversed)... I get German. Or if i choose Chinese or something i get unrecognized characters from windows.

Is there anyway to get English to work with the TIS?

#20 ·
Alright guys,

After searching for some hours I found one that works flawlessly, download the 2gb torrent from the following website: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4087800/BMW_TIS_EN_GER_08_2007
Next mount the dvd using Alcohol 120% or any other emulation software you may have.
After that, open my computer and double click on the virtual dvd drive that you used to mount the dvd.
Click on the WIN95, then the BMW folder, then the TIS folder; double click the SETUP icon at the bottom of the list and install the Sysadm, After the installation the icon it represents on your desktop should be a BLUE ICON WITH THE LETTERS "ADM" on it, NOT a BMW logo.
After that, return to the WIN95 folder and open the ODBC_XP folder( I have installed this TIS on 3 different computers today but only on XP operating systems); then click th ORACLIEN installer, install it.
After that click the ADM Sysadm icon on your desktop, click TIS from the toolbar and install, ENGLIS(USA) WORKS!!!

Hope this addition helps all of you who had issues with constant German language or unable to install, original credit goes to Tom Busby for the info about such a thing as a TIS!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.