E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

***BMW ECU programming solution*** OPEN DISCUSSION inside please

340K views 482 replies 110 participants last post by  briatore 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm an experienced tuner (Mitsubishi, GM cars) and I want to have a open discussion with anybody that has information on tuning BMW's. OR any kind of information you want to share, or spare ecu you can donate "temporary"..

I found the hardware that is needed for READ/WRITE
"KWP2000+ Plus ECU Flasher"

example: On my 2003 330i my ECU is a Siemens MS43.

Since the ones that hold ALL the knowledge dont want to share the info I'm taking it on myself with the help of others (I hope) to find the info and in the hopes to finally provide a solution to ALL to tune our own cars and be able to create our own custom F/I kits...

#140 ·
Glad to see your here to help HakenTT and thanks ...but those files are not mine my file is actually 32kb for the MS42 ECU which comes with the 323ci...The file you have is Dennys which is MS43 and 64kb in size...now a question i have is with your software would you be able to pick out the maps between now the two stock ecus...as i only wish to take the 330 maps and put them on the 323 ecu...

#141 ·
It does not mater what version of ecu it is I can do it, as long as I got few stock files from the same type of ecu and one tuned file, I can make a nice tunable feature. And you can copy/paste maps from one to another. And this is not my software I am making a definition file that would make a universal software work with these ecus.

#146 ·
This is awesome to see that my thread is alive and well. It can only be good for the BMW community/including vendors for all of us to be able to tune our cars and upload the tunes ourselves.

Keep up the great work...I can help tuning 100% I just cant help when it comes to understanding HEX code and looking up maps.

#147 ·
raymond you have sent me bunch of different files one ms41 other ms42, this does not do me any good. I need proper downloaded flashes from cars that have same system. For example few different files from ms42 cars. And posibly one tuned one to realy be able to make tunable file. For now I am out of those and unable to create it.

I did manage to make a file for tuning MS50.1 ecus that are for E46 M3 motorsport, You can download the files here: http://www.chiptuners.org/forums/download.php?id=6603

must be registered to chiptuners.org

#148 ·
HakenTT...I sent you the files I have found from the net AND my file which was pulled from my ECU...So your saying i need to find more 323 and download their files as well? Also what will you need from the 330's the same file? as well as i will have to find tuned 323's AND 330's and download theirs?!

#152 ·
Do I have to have a KWP2000 to be able to pull files or flash my ECU? Or can I connect my laptop with a serial to OBD2 connector and use some open source software out there to do the same thing?

I am glad this discussion is going on and am happy to support its development in any way. I love my e46, but just hate it when people want $300 just to give me five more horsepower from a conservative tuning upgrade. Besides its always more fun when you can figure things out yourself.

Plus I think the biggest benefit in doing all this for us drive-by-wire owners is to make the pedal response faster and more aggressive. Bav Auto is selling a dongle to install under the pedal to do this for $400 bucks. I'm an electrical engineer and know a simple couple of mods in the software can do the exact same thing.

Thanks guys

#153 ·
It is going along, looks like the best way to flash the ECU is to have it on the bench with 14 volts going to it. The battery power in the car 12v or sometimes below that with key on would make it fail flash sometimes.

I created the software for tuning and another person is testing it now so I will let you know soon as I find out more.

#154 · (Edited)
For anyone looking to source the bench being referred here is a little information about them and where to source them. I have watch this being done on my DME at least 7 times so I know the entire process.

BDM100 is the specific Bench tool and it's not a cheap however below i will give you specific places to purchase them. The bench itself is going to difficult to find alone. I suggest using EVC website to determine which tools needed for your specific dme and use the alternative sources to find it cheaper. Again a few sources are below.

EVC-the most expensive source
http://www.evc.de/en/product/ols/bdm/default.asp

Allcartuning- authorized dealer of EVC
http://www.allcartuning.com/en/main/tuning-tools/flashtools/evc-bdm100.html

Of course your chin source
http://chiptunawarehouse.com/ecutools/evc-bdm100-p-88.html

And last Ebay- cheapest place to find everything you need.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?...p4506.m270.l1313&_odkw=BDM100+bench&_osacat=0

Rito

#158 ·
Well i am not sure if it's DME specific or not but for example we tried hooking my car up to a charger and also charging the battery etc... No matter what we did i had to remove the DME and mount to a bench to flash it. Again, I believe this is only with the MS45 DME however mine is the MS45.1 so maybe it's just specifically related to MS45.1 DME's.
This was 4 years ago when i determine this also. Karl (AA) said this is what they were doing at the time too they may have came up with a better process after 4 years i am not sure.
Rito

#159 ·
Battery chargers only give output of 12.5 volts, you got settings of low and high volts and it makes noise in electrical system. You need at least 14 volts and about .8amp, so the best thing is to remove it and make a power adaptor from some old apliance that outputs 14-16 v.

#163 ·
Nope this will not work. It is only rated for 12v and since it automatically adjust there is no way to control voltage.
The one i seen used is custom built from some old parts or something. I am sure you can find someone to build one for you.

#166 ·
The power supply is the easy part. I have 3 different RC car battery chargers, and I think all are current controlled. Power supplies will likely be the best option, although they have low current maxes usually, so I'd measure the draw of the ECU while flashing before I'd try one of those.

Alternators have voltage regulators on them that bleed off excess voltage from the alternator, I wonder how useful that could be coupled with say an 18V power supply.

When I have free time I'll dig through this, electronic's of this sort are fun.

#167 ·
You can not use a battery charger to connect to the bench when flashing.
What I am describing looks like something out of Back to the Future. LOL
You basically have to build them yourself or have one built for you. There may be a company that builds them.

#168 ·
I use a "printer" voltage supply, I trew away my old printer and the power supply adaptor to it is 14v with 625mA ampage, anywhere there 14 to 16v with 300mA to 1000mA will work.
Looks like for you guys it is not even easy to find power supply to flash it. They how could I even begin with this when you can't even go past the easy part.

#171 ·
that's not the issue we are discussing. Every time the DME has to be flashed it what to be removed put on a Bench to ground the DME then apply a 14volt current to it before you can flash the DME. You can buy all everything you need ready to work from a kit however it doesn't come with the power supply which has to be built which ever method you choice as long as it supplies the 14volts.
Yeap all this for 90 seconds or so.
This is what makes the MS45 dme difficult to tune in my opinion because who the hell wants to go through this every time there is a remap needed. It's also the very same reason i added a AEM FIC to my setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.