E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Hooking up a sub woofer

27K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  SOMT 
#1 ·
What is the best way to hook up a sub and amp on a stock deck of a 2004 BMW 325i

#2 ·
Line output converter from stock subs. Wire up amp. Done.

#4 ·
#6 ·
a line output adapter is what I used. Tap the rear deck speakers, and the remote wire on the stock amp (taps can be got at radioshack, very easy to work with) wire amp to batt and ground, perhaps add a capacitor, I simply used a standard sub box with 2 10s, fits in trunk fairly nicely. I also added fuse in the power line, and used a box that can be easily removed if I need trunk space or to put on spare tire. There are many ways to go on this, but truly it's not that hard, I wish I'd done it a long time ago.

#9 ·
Don't you guys think its better to tap into the wiring harness before the factory amp? Because it is a cleaner signal than the one that is already processed by the factory amp and going to the sub amp.

Thats what I'd do if I was adding a sub in my harman Kardon.

#13 ·
HK audio is an standalone upgrade/option. Some cars with premium and sports package come with HK audio as standard.
However, there will be harman kardon labels on the speaker grills on the doors and also a little ambience button(which has a speaker symbol) on the center console next to your DSC button. If the button is not there then you do not have HK.

Also, tapping into the pre amp signals is the best way to get the clean signal. Some amps do take direct input from our factory headset, therefore eliminating the need of RCA converters. So check your new amp to see if it can handle the input.

#14 ·
If you're amp has a high level input you can tap into post-amp wires AND eliminate the need for a remote wire.

But one great benefit of the remote wire is that I ran mine up to my center console and installed a kill switch for the sub. If i leave the switch on, the sub amp only receives power and turns on when the head unit is on. If I turn the switch off, the sub amp will not turn on whether or not the head unit is on. This is nice because I can leave the switch on at all times and know that it will shut off with the radio and not drain power when the vehicle is off

#16 ·
Any pictures of installation guys? Im a lil dumb to any of this. But I am looking forward to install my own sub and amp. And yes, I do have harmon kardon sound system also...

Recently I just purchase an adjustable line level converter, but have no idea of where to begin...

Help....:sly:

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

#18 ·
Trunk. The fuel pump and tank is under that rear seats

#21 ·
Just get a new frickin head unit and remove that POS that comes with the car. I found a nice JVC that has 30+ selectable colors. I found one that was an exact match and it looks very OEM and has wayyyy more features. Just a thought. Bluetooth A2DP protocol for wireless streaming of internet radio stations from iphone/android is nifty. No need for ANY cables at all when I get into my car.

That being said. You tap the wires Pre Amp. And get a line output converter. Actually I have one if you want, I will sell it to you on the cheap =) Used it before I purchased that JVC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.