E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ 16:9 CD Monitor BM53 MK4 Bluetooth Sirius Aux & iPod

49K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  drewseim 
#1 · (Edited)
DIY: OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ 16:9 CD Monitor BM53 MK4 Bluetooth Sirius Aux & iPod

Components Installed and Coded in this DIY:
-16:9 CD Navigation Monitor
-MK4 Navigation Computer with the 2010 Tele Atlas North America High DVD East/West Set
-BM53 Navigation AM/FM Radio Receiver
-Navigation Retrofit Harness Adapter
-OEM Aux-In for Navigation
-OEM BMW Sirius Receiver (BMW P/N 84110153365) for Navigation
-Voice Command Bluetooth using Parrot CK3000 and Connects2 CTPPAR007
-Alpine KCA-420i & Intravee2 iPod Interface Adapter
-Coding of MK4 and Factory E46 Alarm

I wasn't going to do an official DIY write up for this because it is one DIY that I will NEVER EVER recommend since results and budgets are guaranteed to vary.

You can get all the straight dope you need for the RETROFIT at these links:

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/nav/UltimateRetrofitPart1.pdf
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/nav/UltimateRetrofitPart2.pdf

It is the link I followed but, because that retrofit was done years ago and key things have changed since then, those attempting this retrofit will want to read what I wrote here or may want to ask current opinions on the project as prices and parts availability have changed and will continue changing over the years.

When said and done this is what my journey looked like:

MY CABIN BEFORE:

MY CABIN AFTER:
(I also upgraded to a new SMG M Sport Steering Wheel):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBK54oyXjsc

PROLOGUE:The two main reasons I attempted this Retrofit were-

A. I got the opportunity to get a full working new retrofit kit for only $1100.

B. I figured I could sell the current set up that I had in my car at the time; the CD53 MP3 head unit ($400), the iPod USA-Spec ($100), the Parrot Bluetooth ck3000 and ctppar007 kit ($100), and my Tom Tom Go 720 unit ($100) all for at least $500 to $700.

Now I subtracted this $700 I would make from $1100 I would spend and saw that when the dust settled it would only cost me $400 for a clean retrofit install! :D

After reading thru SNA77's DIY links on the retrofit, I figured about $100 to $200 extra would be eventually spent to get any extra parts and unseen expenses for the project.

I expected the DIY would take about 8 hours tops and leave me about $600 max ($400 plus at most $200 for unseen expenses) in the hole which was cheaper than the $699 Dynavin DVN-E46 kit!

So I charged ahead with the project expecting it being relatively easier and cheaper for me than it normally is and man was I wrong.

PART ONE: COMPLETE BUDGET BREAKDOWN AFTER THE DIY WAS FINISHED-

Money Spent on Complete Retrofit Kit:
TOTAL: $2,600

$1100 for 2004 MK4 unit, 2007 BM53, Retrofit Wire Harness, HVAC relocation kit, and NON-WORKING CD 16:9 Monitor (that was sold to me under the impression it was new and working).

$700 for a brand new replacement CD 16:9 Monitor

$200 for various parts (mounting brackets in the trunk, trunk trim, trunk tray)

I also ended up spending $600 for other little miscellaneous things I either had to buy or got billed for like:
shipping/ebay/paypal fees ($90) from selling my old parts, buying the 2010 Navigation DVDs and coding to Mk4 to car ($100), a new GPS antenna ($10), the Navigation Aux In kit ($40), The Navigation iPod Data Alpine KCI adapter+ iPod Intravee 2 kit ($300) as well as various screws, bolts and I had to replace both my rear C pillars ($60) that I damaged during the installation.

Money Earned by selling old parts:
TOTAL: $1020

$630 made selling my Alpine CD53 MP3 Player ($520 on eBay), USA-Spec iPod Data kit($80), Old CD53 radio bracket ($30)

$140 made selling my Tom Tom Go 720 on eBay

$250 made selling the non-working monitor that came with the first kit

TOTAL SPENT: $2600 - $1020 = $1580

Getting ripped off buying the original kit with a bad monitor is what really set me back money-wise and time-wise as I waited a full month to get a working replacement monitor. :tsk:

My advice is to make sure the parts you buy come with some sort of warranty against fraud and the seller is readily available to refund your money or make some sort of amends on what they sell you. :thumbsup:

PART TWO: COMPLETE DIY PROCESS-

It took me about 12 to 15 hours of actual DIY prep and installation time.
This was before the month-long wait to get all the parts in the car and working (a fully working replacement monitor took a bulk of that time to come in as I literally went thru 3 bad ones before I finally got a brand new working monitor).

The tools required are your basic ratchet kit with 8mm and 10mm being the most used heads. Also a good torx set with T20, T25, T27 and T30 as well as the T50(for the rear seat belts) drivers being mainly used. Electric pliers, a clean dull butter knife or pry tool and a small flat head screw driver were also essential in the retrofit. Also have a scissors, lots of zip ties and electrical tape nearby. Said and done, surprisingly, there are no special tools or any textbook knowledge of using tools required for this DIY.

Knowing what I know now I can DIY this again in about 3-5 hours. Most of the original DIY time is spent figuring out stuff. Like removing the front seat took me less than 5 minutes and the rear seat took even less time but I spent about 1 full hour maybe more figuring out how to remove the two rear seat head rests!

The DIY instructions I was following only said that the head rests each pull right up but didn't mention on some E46 cars they are held in place by stubborn, tiny and impossible to see U clips under the rear deck. It took me about 40 minutes to find this out on my own and another 20 to 30 minutes figuring out how to get the U clips unconnected.

The thing you realize with this DIY, like most DIYs, is that it is really easy to complete once you know what it is you are doing. It is just the little unexpected things you come across that can really stump you (like the rear head rests in my case), but the big scary things you expect to spend all day on is really easy and takes about 5 minutes to remove or install (the front seat in my case).

Here are some pictures from the grueling experience (in the end it was worth it...sort of) :eeps:

Going into this DIY be sure to keep a side-budget of around $100 to $600 for unexpected stuff. The clips on both my C P!llars were old and brittle and broke clean off leaving me to purchase two new replacements from bavarianbmwparts on eBay for about $30 each. I also broke the child seat anchor covers on the rear deck and to my surprise it is a discontinued part at all the USA BMW Dealerships and can only be special ordered thru the Canadian Dealership from Australia. Three weeks shipping and they cost $10 each. I also broke clips on my door sills and B P!llar during the DIY but don't need to replace those since they still anchor into place. But just to show you that you need to expect trim and parts to be brittle with age and to break when you remove them.

Laying the cable was easy I started at the rear seat and attached the rear deck/mid car connectors first: the BM53 antenna, the ground, the Mk4 GPS antenna (the seller who ripped me off with the monitor must have also forgot to pack the antenna so I ended up buying a new one on eBay for about $10). In fact removal of the rear deck was the hardest-to-figure-out part of the DIY.

The front driver seat was easy to remove and I didn't have to take the seat out of the car. I only tilted it out of the way to access the carpet below. And the carpet is already pre-cut and peels back easily. I ran the harness under the sills to the carpet entry point at the base of the B P!llar going under the driver's seat to the center console. Maneuvering the hefty 17pin front end connector head under the carpet up to the console/tranny area was tricky but not difficult. This took about 20 to 30 minutes to do. On the sedan I think it is easier to do than the coupe because I found that I didn't need to cut or make a slit in the carpet at all. Also on the sedan you do not have to remove the front driver seat belt on the B P!llar. There was no real surprises here but it is important to keep your work neat and organize or you can easily lose track of what you are doing.

Even after I got the main two trunk brackets there was still extra mounting brackets, about 20 bolts and body nuts that I needed to get everything mounted properly. Everything is in metric it was hard to track down the correct bolts (here in the USA) and I eventually went to the BMW dealership where nuts and bolts are $1.75 each. In this picture I used a Folgers Coffee container to support the BM53 and the Sirius is taped up and tucked in the back behind the car's frame. I need to get the BM53 bracket and the bracket retaining bolt ($24 at the dealership), a Sirius Receiver bracket kit and the oddment tray that replaces the CD Changer above the MK4 (about $14 at the dealership):

Said and done when all the parts are properly mounted: My car already had a Navigation-ready Sirus Receiver that I also mounted in addition to the BM53, the original HK amp, the MK4, the Alpine KCA-420i iPod adapter, and the Oddments Tray that takes the place of the CD Changer above the MK4 drive.

Also the new trunk wall lining mat trim and tray are needed. I bought the Tray for $30 at the BMW dealership which was the only place I could find it and the Trunk Mat Wall with the CD Changer/Navigation-Door from bavarianbmwparts on eBay for $40:

The drama that ensued at the front. The connections can get messy so it is BEST to work in sections. Finish at the back of the car first before tackling the front. They are more connections at the front of the car that need your undivided attention and care when making them. It only looks scary but it is not and literally should take even the most clumsiest DIYer about an hour to connect everything, replace the HVAC/ashtray and push in the new Monitor. Make sure the battery is still unplugged when you make your connections or you will run into problems (don't me ask how I know).

Also be sure to have a retreat route in the event you complete your project and find one or more of the components are not working and you have to back track. Keeping your old Alpine CD53 Business Radio and Bracket for a few extra days after you finish the DIY is wise. Even if the retrofit wiring is laid down and the components are connected in the trunk you can still re-install your CD53 at the front and use it while waiting for your issues (refunds, shipping time, warranty replacements) to get sorted out.

I waited a month before I got my monitor issues resolved. That was a month without radio or a CD monitor in my car. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AqpKMZ1mMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tld-GJvtDMw&feature=related

I literally started this DIY at the start of Labour Day weekend Sept 3rd, 2010 and on October 7th, 2010 I completed it with everything working and coded in the car.

NOTE ABOUT CODING: I had the MK4 coded to the car's ECU even though I was told by a few sources that it is not necessary. I however heard that the MK4 uses information from the ECU and Wheel Sensors in the car for GPS positioning and tracking in the event a signal from the antenna is not present. I don't know much about that but just to be sure I had a 100% legitimate working retrofit I allowed it to be coded to the car. At coding I learned that the car's ECU has the "ability" to recognize that the MK4 is present and that to me is enough evidence that coding must be important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bij2xoNeJQg

Also by accident I discovered I didn't need to sell my ck3000/ctppar007 kit and buy the very expensive OEM ULF Bluetooth kit because the ctppar007 connector actually connects to the Nav retrofit cable at the front of the car and provides an even better Bluetooth and Voice Command experience off the BM53 and 16:9 CD Monitor than the CD53 did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGYJsCXMuus

PART THREE: And finally there were some last minute stumpers in this DIY that I managed to solve-

NOTE: Leaving the car's battery unplugged the entire time until after ALL the connections are made-no matter how small it may seem is important.

Sirius Data Connection: the issue was the original pin inputs on the CD changer cable in the front is not only reversed going from 6 to 1 and 7 to 12 but it is upside down as well. So it is double counter-intuitive

NOTE: Only two BMW Sirius Receiver models for the E46 are known to work with the BMW BM53 Navigation radio.
BMW P/N 65120416377 and
BMW P/N 84110153365 and
possibly the new 04/2010 replacement units BMW P/N 65 12 0 439 436 may also work with navigation.

If the Sirius Receiver does not have these P/N it will NOT work with Navigation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uta15OJB1T4

AUX: the issue here is the kit you buy for navigation does not seem to come with the right male connector for the "retrofit harness" female connector. I supposed the regular factory harness came with a male connector for the Aux in female connector but if you are retrofitting with a retrofit specific harness you must modify the aux harness female connector to a male connector to fit the retrofit harness's female connector AND you need to swap the pin no.s around so the colours are where they should be.

IPOD DATA: The Intravee II with Alpine KCA-420i iPod Adapter is above all the ultimate option for seamless control and play of your iPod thru the Navigation Monitor. The connections are simple and it connects in the trunk. This set up maybe an inconvenience for some folks that have iPhones and/or prefer their iPods in the cabin nearby hands reach but for me having everything locked safely in the trunk is ideal since I do not like clutter in my dash area and the Monitor and Steering Wheel buttons control EVERY ASPECT of what you need to do in terms of locating, playing and enjoying music from your iPod. Also due to lack of issues with the kit once it is installed in your trunk lining you NEVER need to go back to pull it out again or have to reboot it until you are ready to sell the car. The only two downsides to this kit are the availability (only one website in the UK sells the Intravee II and the Alpine KCA-420i is also semi-rare and mainly located on eBay auctions) and the price (the Intravee II is a solid $250 and the Alpine KCA is about $50 and up on eBay or $100 new). YES: you do need both the Intravee II and the Alpine KCA-420i to get this to work. Here below this picture shows the set up:

Here is a very good video showing most of the main functions and capabilities of the Intravee 2 (w/ Alpine KCA-420i) Adapter of a BMW Navigation Screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlBDiZROuc

Before I move on to the next DIY adventure I must give many thanks to everyone that helped out with advice, parts and tips (mainly Belfastman69 for including the Sirius Receiver Bracket, SNA77 for advice, inspiration and providing the original ultimate DIY links, Terraphantm for braving Friday afternoon rush hour traffic in Brooklyn to come code everything to the car , DropTopKing, SolidJake and Steve.325i in Canada for providing unending support, jeffb325@DynavinSolutions for putting up with me & answering EVERY LAST question I had for him)

Also I must especially give praise to MITE46 for doing the original first ever DIY back in 2002 and showing us that these DIYs can be done and should be shared for free among the forums!

And I must thank the kind folks at MT Kisco BMW in Westchester for going out of their way to provide me with ALL the parts I asked for even if they came up as discontinued on the BMW General Parts System.

remember anything is possible...even if it seems super expensive and impossible to DIY.

link to images:
http://img844.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=navretrofitbmwe46.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah that was the sweetest surprise running this project.

I give lots of praise to the Parrot ck3000 and folks that developed the connects2 kits.

I have yet to see anything that matches the flair and function of this set up.

I know a few folks have issues with the mic placement, call quality and iPhone gen bluetooth apps madness, as well as not having voice command work on other brand of phones but for me it continues to be the singular best DIY I ever done to now.

It is the pinnacle of DIY acheivement.

It is cheap. It functions and it completely replaces what would be an OEM retrofit nightmare of expenses and parts and DIY-time.

:thumbsup:

#4 · (Edited)
Also by accident I discovered I didn't need to sell my ck3000/ctppar007 kit and buy the very expensive ULF Bluetooth because the ctppar007 connector actually connects to the Nav retrofit cable at the front of the car and provides an even better Bluetooth and Voice Command experience than the CD53.

Congrats on pulling this off delmarco!

Can you provide some more pictures of the functionality of the Nav system with the Parrot kit?

Here is the OEM Bluetooth ULF with the Nav system for reference.

One thing that you didn't mention that you lose with the non-OEM Bluetooth kit, is the voice commands, which are actually pretty good when used with OEM Nav. For instance, i can be driving, hold down the voice button and simply say "gas station" and the Nav system will automatically pull up the 5 closest gas stations...
NAV Voice Commands

#9 ·
This is the ultimate DIY. Congrats for pulling it off Delmarco after so many curve balls. Really major surgery since the whole inside and trunk needs to be pulled apart for the install. :thumbup:
All the OEM nav systems being pulled out to install Dynavin systems, along with the $650 price point for the Dynavin 5 is going to push down the price of pulled out navs and make this a more common DIY.
I'm predicting that even with the difficulty of this DIY that there will be more OEM nav retrofits.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks man!

yeah. A year ago this DIY would've cost me 3 or 4 times as much because the cheapest I used to see kits selling for were around $2100 to $2400 and that was with NO hvac relocation or harness cables. For that price all you usually got was the 16:9 CD Monitor, the BM53 radio and the MK4 computer.

For me to get everything including the HVAC relocation kit and retrofit harness cable from a seller for only $1100 a year ago would've been impossible.

Even with getting ripped off for the monitor I still made out decent with still only $1580 spent for everything including Aux-In, MK4 Coding, the 2010 Tele Atlas Navigation Maps DVDs and iPod Data and Sirius!

A year ago to include everything I did in this DIY would've been easily a $4,000 project.

I should definately also give a big shout out to the Dynavin market since this project would not have been possible without the advent of the DVN-E46!

#13 · (Edited)
Finally everything you wanted to know about the BMW E46 Navigation MK4 GPS System Demystified.

This is a complete review for the GPS Mapping and Guidance Navigation Features found on BMW cars with the MK4 Navigation computer and 16:9 Navigation Monitors running the latest v.31/32 software as of 10/10/10 and using the 2010 Year Tele Atlas North America High DVD set.

PART ONE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp20bbhvxMw

PART TWO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQDe2gofUqs

Rated by me: 4.5 stars out of 5 stars :thumbup:
I reviewed and rated it based on key areas that many in car navigation electronics are critiqued on. These are Speed, Integration with other I.C.E components, Precision, Route Guidance, Map clarity

POSITIVES: :thumbup:

-Has a lot of USEFUL and solid features
-Very Quick! Start up & Loading Maps, Also finds GPS Signal Quick
-Seamless integration with other I.C.E Radio functions and Bluetooth
-Map Clarity and Graphics are clear and GPS location mapping is very precise
-Visual and Vocal Directions are also on point
-Navigation Voice Prompt works seamlessly with your music so nothing is paused or disrupted (see video). The voice can also be lowered or raised depending on your tastes.

NEGATIVES: :thumbdwn:

-Uses DVDs over Hard Drive or SD Cards (not really a full negative since DVDs are really quick to load and easy for updating the maps)
-DVDs are EXPENSIVE! $200 per DVD (1 for East and 1 for West coast) = $400 for the full country with a little bit of Canada and Mexico. You can buy a Round Trip Airline ticket to most places mapped on the entire DVD set for $400!
-Takes a long time to get use to controls and using it. Took me a full week to learn some of the main functions on GPS where as a Tom Tom Go is easy to use and fully understand minutes out of the box.
-A lot of the cool features are buried deep in the menu and takes a while to find and learn to use. :confused:
-Entering addresses on the Input Screen on the fly is not advised. The selection text is tiny and it hard to input a destination whiles driving or at a red light. Bigger text on the input screen and a touch screen would make this easier. Not really a full negative since it is against the law and dangerous to be entering information on hand held devices whiles driving.
-Retrofit kits may need coding for some cars and cost around $80 to $200 depending on which dealership you go to.
- The instruction manual that comes with the retrofit kit can be much better at explaining some of the features

Here are some screen shots:

Settings Screen:
Here you can modify many aspects of the Navigation Features in regards to display (full or split screen as well as colours and contrast/brightness settings), sound (navigation volume and language) and data (clock/date)-

Navigation Guidance Route Data Display in Full Screen Mode:
This is the main screen when you start navigation guidance. It has ALL the information for your trip. It can be switched to the Navigation Guidance Route Map Screen that displays the map with the guidance information and route embedded into the map. When the Bluetooth is On and you are in conversation. The Navigation Voice is completely muted and automatically turned off to allow you to talk thru the Bluetooth. Because of that this Data Display Screen will flash up and visually prompt the driver giving him/her the current guidance information at a driving interval where the voice would normally speak to give guidance-

Navigation Guidance Route Data Display in Split Screen Mode:
Here is your current music information alongside your Navigation Guidance Information. In this mode you will still get the voice guidance prompts as long as you are not using the bluetooth system. Pressing Info or Switch Display button will switch between the music info and the navigation map screen (or computer depending on what you had open last) whiles the navigation route data guidance information will remain shown on the right side of the split screen-

Navigation Guidance Route Map Display in Full Screen Mode:

Here is the Route Map Display that details your route in the map with a white line. GPS information is embedding into the map for distance to next action and distance to destination. It doesn't show as much info as the Route Data Display screen (you don't get ETA to destination in the Route Map Display). Pressing Info or Switch Display button will switch between the music info and this Route Map screen (it will also switch to computer or Bluetooth depending on what you had open last). You also get continued voice guidance prompts in this mode providing the bluetooth is not in use.

Navigation Guidance Route Map Display in Split Screen Mode:
Here is your Route Map Display information alongside your Route Data Information. In this mode you will still get the voice guidance prompts as long as you are not using the Bluetooth system. Pressing Info or Switch Display button will switch between the current Music info and ONLY the navigation Route Map screen whiles the navigation Route Data information will remain shown on the right side of the split screen-

#14 · (Edited)
Delmarco you are one crazy fool to have spent that much money and time when the dynavin could to so much more than the OEM stock nav. :)
:thumbsup: But thumbs up for doing a very professional retrofit and DIY! Considering all the things that need to match to get the OEM unit to work properly you seem to have nailed it. I was about to do this retrofit and even made an offer on a OEM nav when the Dynavin came out. I am an OEM nut like you, but I am so glad I went the dynavin way as it is much more practical and useful.

Well done!

what's next ? get some Mtech 2 and when are you getting rid of those ambers?

What are those speaker boxes sticking out into the boot? Never seen them before on a sedan. Was that something you retrofitted ?

#15 · (Edited)
What are those speaker boxes sticking out into the boot? Never seen them before on a sedan. Was that something you retrofitted ?
lol.
Thanks.

The car came with the Harmon Kardon Premium Sound Package as a factory option and I believe those are the Harmon Kardon Subs that are factory mounted in the trunk so it saves me from at least one retrofit.

I don't know much about it, but it sounds good and loud and there is the extra HK Amplifier in the car as well that I had to move around when I was installing the Nav system.

This is what is behind the Nav system in my car ( sample picture below taken from an 2005 M3 coupe part out). It says HK (Harmon Kardon) all over it.

This is another version amp that I saw on an a 02 M3 coupe part out and I am not sure what it is:

It can be an early version of HK or the basic E46 amp.

#16 ·
Ah, makes sense. I think all US cars have an external amp where as European and Australian cars dont. Only the HK setups came with external amps afaik.

Btw saw you've done the SMG M3 wheel retrofit (glad you dropped the hair brained idea of retrofitting paddles to the standard sport wheel haha). I've got the same set up. What happens when you pull both paddles at the same time ? Mine puts it back to SD which is nice. Apparently older cars dont do that.

#20 ·
Fantastic DIY Delmarco!! I'm about to get started with some of the very same stuff. My 2003 330I came with the Nav computer, 6 disk changer and 16.9 Nav monitor, so it should be prewired for the voice command button on the steering wheel for bluetooth and the phone button on the nav monitor. So I'll need the Intravee 2 interface unit, Alpine KCA 420i ipod adapter and aux input for nav. Also I'm thinking of using iphone radios for now instead of satellite radio. Now what equipment will I need for the bluetooth?

#21 · (Edited)
Hey Chuck,
You can pick up the Parrot CK3000 kit anywhere on eBay for around $30 - $60 and get the CTPPAR007 Connects2 kit which costs arounf $72 plus shipping from the Uk from ebay at this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Connects2-CTPPA...cles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item230f7c997a

and that is all you need to add full Voice Command Bluetooth via the steering wheel buttons to the Navigation set up in your car.

Everything should be able to connect in the front if your Navigation set up is a retrofit from a CD53 like this

If your car came originally camewith the Navigation then you may have to connect the CTPPAR007 in the trunk at the site of the BM53 like this:

Good Luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

#22 ·
El Turko said:
Hi mate,

Im literally just about to retrofit nav into my UK e46 (your guides on here and e46zone have been very useful).

At the same time im installing the parrot kit (I know I know, its going to be a busy few days.

But, what I really need to know is the retrofit loom. Does the parrot sound feed into loom pre BM54. Or does it feed into it after the BM54?

Reason I ask is, If I want to tap a 4ch amp into the loom, really I need to know whether to take it from upfront, or simply from the BM54 - as obviously the bluetooth sound needs to go to the speakers.

Thanks,
The CTPPAR007 kit only taps into the preloom because it does NOT have the same flat pin connector as the BM53/BM54 radios. The CTPPAR007 has the round pin connector/adapter so you would connect it at the front into the original BMW radio connectors.
CTPPAR007:

However if you get a CTPPAR008 kit it connects to the flat pin connectors of the BM53/BM54 radios.
And would connect in the trunk.
CTPPAR008:

The difference:

BM53/BM54 radio:

CD53 radio:

#24 · (Edited)
That is the iPod on the AUX line in the picture.

The Intravee hooks up in the place where the CD Changer normally goes but because the Intravee iPod cable lines are fairly short it is just best to keep the iPod in the trunk area in the space where the CD Changer normally is.

With effort you can run the Intravee/Alpine KCA extension towards the cabin and connect the iPod under the armrest area or lower console.

It won't be long enough to reach the glove box from the trunk area unless you have the Alpine KCA underneath the rear seat and run the iPod data cable from there to the glove box.

The positive thing is about the Intravee is once it is hooked up to the iPod you have total control from the driverseat using the steering wheel buttons or radio/navigation buttons. You do not need to access the iPod once the radio is on.

Some iPhone users that need to get at their iPhones whiles it is connected may want to opt and try to hook everything up from under the rear seat or thru the cabin.

#25 · (Edited)
Lot of people are asking about this thread.

Quick questions I wanted to answer that I get asked often via the PM and Youtube.

Concerning MP3 CDs and DVD movie playback and TV playback.

1. No, the BMW Navigation CD Monitor never had MP3 Data CD playback capabilities. It only plays regular CDs and does not show data tags for CD playback. The ONLY way to allow for MP3 Data CD playback (and to get data tags to show on screen) is to install an MP3/CD Changer like the Alpine CHA-S634 Cd Changer.

More information here:

http://www.bimmernav.com/bmw_mp3_cd_changer.html

2. The Monitor also does not play DVD movies

3. The MK4 DVD Computer also will not play DVD movies. It is only for the navigation software DVD.

4. As for TV - BMW did have a TV module made for the navigation screen but those kits were primarily sold in Europe, expensive, and may not pick up the 'newer' digital TV signals of todays TV tech. The module kit used an AV system to playback TV on the monitor. This AV link can also be used for rearview cameras and iPod/iPhone movie playback. See below

Concerning iPods and iPhones movie and music Playback thru the Navigation Monitor

1. iPod/iPhone kits that work thru the CD Changer cable/Bus system will work with the navigation system. This includes DICE, BSW, Denison(?), USA-Spec and Intravee. With Intravee being by far the best kit to buy for iPod/iPhone playback.

2. Yes you can playback movies from your iPod/iPhone on your OEM Navigation Monitor thru AV-IN via the TV Module that you would have to buy and hook up.

I assume current generation iPhones/iPods may not work or may require special adaptors and/or Apps to work.

Read here for more information:

http://www.xoutpost.com/electronics...watch-iphone-screen-bmw-16-9-e46-display.html

Video description here:

http://youtu.be/pQ7w7ThjpSw

3. The OEM Navigation does not support any bluetooth streaming of music with the addition of an OEM Bluetooth module or the Parrot Bluetooth module.

Some phones may have the ability to playback music thru the phone speakers which can then playback thru the bluetooth in the car but it will be a monotone sound (since it is using the handset 'phone' speaker and not a stereo playback speaker)

-AGAIN you CANNOT stream music thru the OEM Bluetooth system. I get so many questions about that.

Concerning 'what you need' for the complete retrofit:

1. Yes you need ALL the individual components for the entire navigation kit to work. You can't have the BM53 not hooked up, for instance and expect, the rest of it to work. It will not work.

Also you can't just install the nav monitor and playback CDs or iPhone/iPod hookup if the BM53 isn't present.

The one thing that you CAN subsitute or sacrifice is the MK4 computer. You can make the kit work with an older MK3 CD based computer if you need to. Navigation will be slower but it will all work.

2. Kits from newer 'facelifted' cars WILL work with 'older' cars. The only adaption needed would be the Amplifier Antenna (needs to be replaced by an 9/01 and later Amplifier Antenna). Kits from coupes and M3s will work with sedans. Convertibles use the same components but the wiring routing and trunk mount set up is different.

3. If your car didn't have prewiring for a CD Changer then the navigation retrofit kit will NOT add this feature. You also do not need a CD Changer cable or prewiring for the nav retrofit kit to work. On that note the kit will also NOT add aux in. You need to buy a seperate aux in adaptor kit.

4. For the GPS Antenna work the Navigation doesn't need to be coded to the car but it is 'helpful' to code it so the car's computer knows it is present inside the car.

Concerning value added to the car:

1. On the Trade-In Market, where you take your car in to a BMW Dealership or regular Dealership to put it towards the payment for a newer car, adding OEM Navigation will NOT increase the value of your car.

Dealerships usually run the VIN# to see what original options and packages came with the car and then average that to current mileage, carfax-data, and visual condition/appearance of your car to derive a final trade in value. Then the take that value and halve it.

LOL. That last part was a joke but expect your trade in value to always be much lower than what the car is worth. Especially when considering the 'supply/demand' aspect of a resale value.

In my experience, Dealerships now only just ask for the vin# and then tell you what they will take for your car over the phone.

2. On the Private Seller Market, where you list your car yourself and sell it (say on eBay & Craigslist), having OEM retrofits, such as factory Navigation, will add both value and increase demand to your car.

The E46 sedan rarely came with navigation, further less Navigation with CD Monitor.

Most original cars with Navigation have dirty scuffed up screens and non working components where as your retrofit is clean and functioning.

#26 ·
Great retrofit, but only if you know what parts you need based on your Car and region. I have a 2003 BMW 325i Sedan (Australia) and it came with factory CD changer, TV(analog), Radio and Bluetooth. I checked if the car was pre-wired for Navigation and it wasn't.

What i need to know is the correct wiring harness I would need to do the MK4 DVD navigation retrofit in my car. I have looked everywhere on the internet and even got in touch with BMW Australia for a part number but they haven't been able to help.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

#28 ·
Just Completed the Retrofit today! On my 11.5 y.o. car...

Thanks delmarco, for the direction and confidence to perform this project. All in all it wasn't too bad, but I would have to say the most difficult thing for me as far as installation went, was routing the retrofit harness up through the carpet under the console. I now have a better understanding of childbirth; both from the doctor's perspective as well as the woman's! Anyway, I'm all set and ready to update my software to v32 but I'm in no rush, I'll see about an updated splash screen anyway. I started to play around with it, and I am having trouble with the clock, I updated the time initially, but after shutting it off it reverts back 1 hr. Is this due to the gps satellites interfering with it and DST? I tried playing around with it, but no luck. Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.