E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY smg dome to auto retrofit...FINALLY!!!!

26K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  330xIce 
#1 ·
hi guys, i was after this mod for a long time, i know only a few of you have done it, but nobody has post a DIY, so my slushbox got cracked and i took the oportunity to do the smg dome retrofit. the look its not 10/10 but it looks better than before, and im sure that with other knob and boot it will look better.

materials:
dremel
sandpaper
tape
time
patience

1. buy the smg dome with the ring, and get rid of the sMg badge, this will leave some tiny holes. with bondo or other kind of filler, fill them and with a low grit sandpaper (+-1500) work it and the whole dome for painting it.

2.this is where cutting begins. The fear about doing this mod has allways been the parking possition, and its true, without cutting some stuff, you cant reach the parking possition, so we have to check where the stick meets with the ring and cut an inch(1'') of it, the same amount will be cutted from the dome.
-put some tape to protect the ring from any possible damage with the dremell

3.the same has to be done in the dome, exactly how is here, and the work the shape with a sandpaper

3. this is how it looks in the P possition, we have to leave some space for the boot.

4.this is the finished product! i painted it flat black, and leave the sensitivity control, for a future mod, the ipod dock ( i know the knob looks like sh1t, will replace it) and tomorow a new custom boot will be created by mom:rofl:.

hope you guys like it, any questions fell free to leave a reply.

See less See more
#7 ·
Does not look that bad, not something I would do but looks OK. I actually had a alcantara manual shift boot for a time on my step, got rid of it. Nice write up though. I know there were some people asking for a DIY like this.

#10 ·
yes my friend!!! obviously, i just replaced the ugly steptronic slushbox with a smg plastic cover. but in a near future................................the functional smg steering wheel to auto retrofit will be here too.

#12 ·
thanks for all the kind words man, and yes, i was looking at that same knob before i did this, but the price is too much for just a knob, rigth now im in negociations with a couple of members selling smg knobs.

#16 · (Edited)
update!!!!!!!!!!!

ok guys, finally i found a good offer in a smg knob, those stupid PLASTIC things are $70+, in my way i got good offers in a few smg domes, i will cuztomize them, and sell them here, so if anyone interested pm me, here are the new pics:

#26 ·
I hate reviving old threads. But it was too good to resist. Did you ever retrofit the iPod dock in the place of the shifter setting button? I really want to do this mod!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.