E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Only hot air - Not Final Stage or Heater Control Valve

24K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  LeverThis 
#1 ·
So I have a 330ci with A/C and ever since I have owned it only hot air comes out regardless of the temp setting.

Having had a leak in the expansion tank I decided now was the time to get the heater control valve changed as most posts I find route this as the cause of the problem.

Changing the heater control valve had no effect so we fitted a new final stage resistor at the same time... still no luck. The computer still pointed to the heater control valve as being faulty so another part was obtained from BMW and fitted.

Still only blowing hot.

The system was properly bled by the mechanic and they just can't work out why with all the parts changed it's still blowing hot only.

So after a big bill I need to find a solution to this problem.

#2 ·
Have a look at the little fan in the back of the control unit. Pull the stereo out, then pull out the climate control panel. Look at the back and see if the little fan is spinning....Mine wasnt and it was doing all sorts of odd things...(managed to jam it with my ipod connector)

#9 ·
My understanding of how the climate control works is as follows: you select a target temperature and the climate control computer compares the ambient temperature to the desired temperature and adjusts the heat/cool blend appropriately. A bad temperature sensor would throw that all out of whack, no?

#10 · (Edited)
sounds liek the blend air (hot/cold) flap motor is out. Usually when the temp is close to ambient temp is a a/c problem. But if its way hotter than ambient air the blend air door is stuck at hot. hot vent temps and hot engine temp is obstruction to air flow. and yes if the outside temp sensor has been torn off the car (located bottom of vehicle attached to bottom right splashgard or left... i forgot) it can throw off the temp out put i havnet seen abnormaly high temps only warm temps.

#14 ·
Please can someone help me i'm new to this forum. But i have the same problem. My bmw 316i e46 2001 Y reg has this problem. When i bought the vehicle the a/c was working fine. after a year the heater blowes hot air only. I have tryed putting the tempreture level to 16 but it still blow hot air. When i swith on my a/c it blowes hot air. I don't no what seems to be the problem.
Can someone help me ? I don't no how i can find the fault.

#15 ·
Back to this thread a year and 1/2 after the fact. I had hot air coming out the vents for the first 15 seconds after I turned the AC on then 'some' cold air would come out. After tons of research on trying to diagnose (replaced heater control valve, got my refrigerant evacuated and recharged by a prof) and getting no where, I decided to give an indy guy I met at the stealer parts counter a shot. He talked a good game so I hit the road to see him. He said the blend air door is stuck open (hot), what imlostathome said and to get to it, he would have to take apart the dash, middle console etc. Didn't do it that day since it was late in the evening. I searched this when I got back home and couldn't find any posts or diys. I know someone has to have tackled this job before.

This morning I dropped my car off. Right now I have ice cold AC like I haven't in a long time not to mention this guy gave me a huge break on the bill. If anyone has done this, please enlighten us and help others on here. I'd also like to verify what my indy guy said needed to be done. Hope this helps someone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.