E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How many miles for OBD to reset?

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  asiangear 
#1 ·
I had a repair done to have my check engine light go off so that i could pass emissions. They reset the system and when i took the car over for emissions testing, the OBD system was not ready for testing.
Can anyone tell me how much the car has to be driven for the system to be ready again. Are there any tips or techniques to make them come on sooner?

#4 ·
Do you know if it has to be that many miles between the computer readings. I'm thinking that i've driven my car a lot, but only some between my checks at the emissions. Should i drive it a whole bunch before even taking it back.

#6 ·
Is the drive cycle really driving the car for at least 300 miles? I read slow323ci's post in this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=181921

stating that the drive cycle is starting the car from engine cold, then driving for a while, and the shutting off the car successfully. And to reset the readiness indicators, I would have to complete this cycle 3 times. Which is correct? I am trying to confirm a DTC, so I erased it using an OBD II scanner, and want to see if the same DTC will appear. If slow323ci is right, then after 3 drive cycles, I should see the MIL come on again and see the same exact DTC on my OBD II scanner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.