E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Rain sensor problem

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  iansanderson 
#1 ·
So I have been wanting to fix my rain sensor wipers so I ordered a used rain sensor off of ebay, but I noticed when I got it the sticky stuff on the lens is all messed up. I attached a picture of what it looks like. Is there anyway of attaching this to my windshield and making it work or should I try sending it back? I wish I could take the guts from this one and use the lens on the car but when I took them apart it seems like they are together.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I had my windshield replaced and I was asking the tech at the shop about it. He says they come from the factory bonded to the windshield. I'm not sure a DIY replacement is possible - it sounded like removing it would basically destroy it.

#3 ·
Well I ran into another problem. I put the new rain sensor on the old lens that was on the windshield and the wipers just wipe like crazy, but when I take it off it acts normal and when I wave my hand in front of it the wipers work. So does this mean I need to take the lens off the the windshield and reapply it with silicon since I had like one small bubble in it?

#5 · (Edited)
ok.. there's quite a few issues going on here. First of all, the rain sensor for the E46 doesn't glue/attach directly to the windshield.. the mount does. The mount contains the focusing optics for the rain sensor (and light sensor if manufactured after 09/01).

So, have you completely removed your mount from the windshield? If so, you will need to clean all of the glue from it, and reattach it. Then, you will need to verify that is the correct rain sensor for an E46, clean all of the goop off of it and re-attach it to the mount which is done without glue.

Finally, depending on what kind of car the used Rain Sensor was removed from, it may need coded to your car. BMW used two different wiper park systems that the rain sensor interfaces directly with. If the car the used sensor came from uses the different system, this can cause the wipers to stay on all the time. Also, a used sensor should be "initialized" to your windshield or else it may not work correctly.

here is a great write-up on re-attaching the RLS mount to the windshield.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=615032

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.