E46 Fanatics Forum banner

My e46 engine won't turn on!!!!

30K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  guest0317 
#1 ·
So..I'm about to turn on my car (2002 e46 325i) and all the lights turn on, on the dashboard but the engine won't start I try again with no luck, but a hear noise from underneath the driver side of the car....it's sounds like metal pulling or bending sort like a deep horn playing....I'm thinking its the fuel filter? doesn't seem at all electrical but any help would be appreciated

#3 ·
Hmm if she worked like my gf, all she needs is a few toys to get her turn.. oh your talking about the car.. hmm
So does it turn over or anything? Does the starter do anything? Hows your battery (check the voltage)?

#4 · (Edited)
I bought a new battery about 4 months ago.... I'll have to check the voltage just in case. Umm I don't hear any ticking at all when I try to turn it over... But what sucks I don't have a voltage meter.. but the thing is I doubt it the battery since all the lights turn on..No one thinks its the fuel pump or filter?

#5 ·
When my battery crapped out last year gave me no indication until I turned the ignition on. The interior fan came on suddenly (switch was in the off pos) and all the dash lights came on like a x-mas tree. Given everythihg that was going on I was kinda surprised to find out that it was my battery causing all of the problems.

Can't remember if my fuel pump came on or not. Was kinda dazzled by my dash lights at the time.

#7 ·
I think it is the damn battery.. I read a thread a few minutes ago, stating that if the wipers are moving slower then usual that it was a good indicator that the battery is dead so I just went out and the wipers were slow as can be I turned my headlights on then everything on the dashboard started dimming away. And I finally started hearing clicking noise.

#8 ·
The battery will always be the most inmprtant part of the e46. always change the battery for a fresh new one before spending big bucks.

That sound under the driver side, i don't know. Is the fuel pump located their ?

#9 ·
That sound under the driver side, i don't know. Is the fuel pump located their ?
No, but it is on the drivers side of the vehicle. Without paying real close attention you might get fooled. When you power on the ignition, the fuel system pressurizes. That's the sound he's hearing.

I'd put a multimeter across the battery

#12 ·
good luck ! remember to let the ignition do its thing, instead of just yanking the key and starting right off.

#13 ·
Use the on-board Voltmeter...

Hold odometer reset, turn key to ON
then keep pressing reset until 19.0 is displayed
pause for 1 sec until 19.0 display blinks...
then keep pressing until display shows 9.0

display should read 12.5, if not battery faulty.

if volts display is 12.5 try starting your car, if voltage drops to 10..then doesn't come back up, then battery is surely faulty.

#14 ·
thats new to me. WOW ! does that work on all BMW or all e46 ?
turn key to ON ? turn car on, or just put in ignition?
will the display stay on Volt ?

#23 · (Edited)
You need a new fan. You might be able to get an aftermarket ebay fan module (I think it's called). Search...only one have tried that...don't know if it works. Otherwise the fan itself. In the states, I think they cost $250...takes 5 mins. to install, you know.

Doug

Oh, and you can search or start a new thread for this...doesn't really belong in this one, I don't think.

Also, just disconnect your fan when you shut off car. A couple of these fans have started to burn. Not good at all!

#26 ·
Ah.. mines dead now. Its a 330Ci.
Did the battery test and its fine. Its turning over fine. No ignition though. It worked fine twice this morning.

2 days ago the engine emmisions light came on. It went off yesterday before I booked it in for a check, and now this. When I turn the ignition on the yellow emissions light is back on, as is a red battery and oil light. Checked both - both ok.

So possibly the CAT? ECU?

This is going to be expensive. Found a new garage though - Munich Motors in Wokingham (UK) so I have orgnaised a tow for monday morning. BOOOO :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.