10K views 92 replies 40 participants last post by  EJL486 
#1 · (Edited)
Just curious what everybody is getting as a top speed? Ill start

Car: 01 325ci
Mods: CAI, Chip
Wheels: 235 35 R18
Aerodynamics: M3 lip, lowered 1.5 in
Speed: 153 mph

Surprisingly the lip really works for aerodynamics. I felt a bit more grip with it. I had stock diff and trans and motor. All stock gearing. 3.46 i believe? Correct me if im wrong

#37 ·
Man, that cat is Huge :wow:

#39 ·
For what it's worth, I've only had my E46 up to about 120. I previously owned a 2008 (E60) 550i msport with SAT (sport automatic transmission), RPI GT axle back exhaust and SB II installed. Got it up to 155 mph (limiter kicked in) and it was sucking itself down harder the faster I went. The smoothest car at speed I've ever driven. This was done on a limited access highway, no traffic in sight, and in reality took about 20 seconds from 70ish to 155ish and back - very limited time in a very dangerous (risk accepted mind you) situation. I only hit 120 in my E46 because I didnt' feel the risk was worth it - just didn't feel totally locked in if you know what I mean. I have been slowly upgrading suspension components and will have a completly new suspension in about two weeks. I'll see how it feels then and may try to open it up.

#42 ·
Just curious what everybody is getting as a top speed? Ill start

Car: 01 325ci
Mods: CAI, Chip
Wheels: 235 35 R18
Aerodynamics: M3 lip, lowered 1.5 in
Speed: 153 mph

Surprisingly the lip really works for aerodynamics. I felt a bit more grip with it. I had stock diff and trans and motor. All stock gearing. 3.46 i believe? Correct me if im wrong
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

oh, and here's everybody's top speeds
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/Speed.htm

#43 ·
YOLO!!! My car does 128:woot::woot:

And for everybody saying "It's my life I'm putting at stake" that's fine and dandy, just remember there are worse things than being killed outright. And anyone saying that they wouldn't mind their kids pushing their car to its limits has got to be out of their minds.

#46 ·
Of course I wouldn't want them to push their car to its limits, but reality says they probably will at some point - well maybe not the daughter but the son, hells yeah he will. I did it, most of us probably have at some point. Too think otherwise is foolish. Those who think that way probably don't believe its their kid who drinks or tries drugs at some point too, right? That's just being ignorant of reality. It may not be drugs or alcohol - maybe its going out to that quarry that's off limits and skinny dippin' with friends, maybe its bungee jumping behind the parents back, maybe its buying illegal fireworks to set off at a college party, maybe its jumping roofs in a city block. Kids are going to do stupid **** - think you or anyone else is going to stop this by stopping posts on an internet forum about speeding? If you do, wake up man. Since beginingless time kids have been kids. How many times do you hear, or say yourself, man I should be dead or in jail the things we did as kids? Every generation says the same thing, and every new generation does the same ****. The difference is your perspective - as a kid you don't see or care about the risks. As an adult, and espeacially as a parent, you think about nothing but the risks. We are biologically built this way, unfortunately society has taken it to an extreme level these days, and this thread is pointing that out.

Think about it: who the hell thought of wearing a seatbelt 30 years ago? A helmet when riding a big wheel - seriously? And speaking of Roundel, who else used to push their parents car down the block late at night so they could start it up and take it for a joy ride when they were a kid? Satch, the editor of Roundel, and a lot of readers who wrote in about that story sure did, and so did I. Talk about dangerous. Can you imagine a 15 year old kid trying to do that in todays world? They would be crucified. But you know what, I learned more about driving and living taking those risks and having fun with my buddies then I've learned since.

So yeah, my kid will probably push his car to its limits at some point and you know what, if that's what he decides to do after all I've tried to teach him and show him and guide him in the right directions, then so be it. I'm certain he will do it as safely as possible given the risks and I'm certain that he will be thinking about the possiblities of what can go wrong and taking the appropriate counter measures because, you know what, I actually TEACH them how to take them.

Risk is certain in everything. Learn how to mitigate it to your best ability and go forth and have FUN! And if you make your kid wear a helmet when they ride their three wheeler then you Sir, are the one who is out of their mind.

OK, I feel better. In some kind of mood today. Weird.

#44 ·
According to the Gear Ratio Calculator my 320i does 188.66 :D :hmm:

#56 ·
This is a huge amount of BS. For starters, the E46 speedo is off pretty badly past 100mph. If your speedo said 153 you were doing maybe 143 at best. Secondly, a 325ci doesn't have enough power to overcome the wind resistance of the car to get to 150mph. And as another pointed out, you don't have the gearing for 153mph. And finally, if you get caught driving like that, enjoy prison. Maybe you can impress the inmates by telling your tale of a super powered 180hp 325ci and avoid being someones wet nurse.

#61 ·
why would you go to prison driving that fast? Loose your license, sure. But prison?

In PA you would loose your license for 6 months if they decided to ticket you for Racing or Careless driving, but no prison. Really, prison? What state do you live in, I don't want to visit there? Give me liberty or give me death I hear some say. Christ.

#78 ·
Wtf is
The need to bash someone's thread? All you guys who are bashing.... Tell me you've never not used your turn signal knowingly? Not used your headlights during precipitation (yes it's a law) or have never driven your car while your headlight, tail light, blinker, or lic plate light was out?

Everyone here breaks the law, it's a damn fact. These laws were put in
Place for a reason. People have died from little things such as the above mentioned. So
Unless you've truly driven your car 110% by the law
Of the roads, lay the **** off.

#83 ·
The fastest I've ever been in a car was in a g-power supercharged E90 M3 (as a passenger) conservatively 195 to 200 mph. I was trying to keep from crapping my pants, wondering what my last words were going to be, telling my friend to slow down, and looking at the speedo to see what speed we were doing. Needle was pegged at the 200mph mark and car kept accelerating.

#92 ·
Back on topic! Fastest I've gone was in my brothers CTS4 last weekend actually. Driving to my lady's house in PA on 95 from Jersey around 2AM, no cars on the road. Some guy in his new "sporty" Hyundai tried to race me, we both started at 80, he gave up when I was putting it in 6th at 125 or so.

#93 ·
this thread has gotten completely out of hand for no reason. I'm pretty sure every one of us had a friend die in a car accident. I'm also sure that I nearly died as a passenger with friends a few times back in the day. The fact is, we learn from these things and some of us can choose to learn that speeding kills, dont do it, and some of us learn how to be responsible with speed. As I said previously, no one knows everyone elses circumstances, locations of said speeding, or environment of said speeding. If this was a thread about topping one's car out on the autobahn, there wouldnt be a damn peep about safety. The fact of the matter is that driving on a highway is as safe as the next guy's view of safe. One could be doddling along at 60 and get rear ended by a truck going 80, does that mean I should speed? no, of course not, but people seem to be insinuating the reverse.
This site seems to be more and more full of pseudo boy scouts and cry babies. Instead of all the garbage posted in this thread about why we shouldnt speed, one single post would have made the point and been done with it.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/111545-airstrip-crash-florida-5-killed.html
read through to at least page 5 to get the picture, then take a look at "americanM5's" other posts. If this story doesnt make you think twice, well, I'm not sure anything would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.